• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Barber - 1852 3 Cent

6 posts in this topic

So, while up in Buffalo, I thought I stop at a few auction/antique malls and found a couple coins that I have none of. I just wanted to add as a first to my collection, but don't have the $ to go for something graded high just yet. I wanted a Barber 1/2 and a silver 3 cent. Here's what I found as a first for each. Sorry for non-pro pics ;)

1913 Barber 1/2. Coin is labeled VG-8. Paid $85 (IMO looks cleaned/die break OBV between banner and wing)

191312a.jpg

191312b.jpg

1852 3 Cent. Labeled F / Var 1. Paid $12

112aa.jpg

112bye.jpg

The quarter grades VG-10 with some marks that can be expected for the grade. You wish that they were not there, but they are to be expected. Today some people would call that piece a Fine-12, but they are wrong.

At any rate $85 was too much money. Gray Sheet bid - ask in Fine is $55 - $60 and the VG ranges are $20 to $22. I think that a fair retail would have been $35 or so. Antique dealers are usually among the highest priced sellers out there when it comes to coins. They think that they can mark them up the way they do with the rest of the stuff they sell.

The Silver Three Cent Piece looks like a ground salvage item to me. The net grade would be Good graded down from VF sharpness for pits. $18 is a fair retail I suppose, but it's not much a coin given the problems. Most dealers won't make an offer because of the damage.

Sorry to be so negative, but buying coins requires some homework with regards to grading and prices.

Sorry, but considering its appearance, the price you paid for the Barber Half seems a bit on the high side. And the Three Cent piece looks as if it is environmentally damaged.

I appreciate your opinion , negative or not so thank you. I assumed I paid too much, but I'll get over it. I'm probably going to follow my dad's advice and save some money for a graded ones rather than raw for now. For me, cool just having one. I'll continue to do my research.

If you want to take a tour of U.S. coinage, click on the Type Set buttons that are in my footer. Every coin is photographed with a write-up. I've been a collector for over 50 years.

If you want to take a tour of U.S. coinage, click on the Type Set buttons that are in my footer. Every coin is photographed with a write-up. I've been a collector for over 50 years.

Agreed, great set IMHO