• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914 D Lincoln Wheat

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I submitted my first penny to this board a few days ago and got some great feedback that the coin had been cleaned. I since did a lot research regarding the "cartwheel" effect and found that most of my coins that I thought were RD appear to have been cleaned. Anyway as I am learning to grade I came across this 1914 D BN penny. What do you think the grade might be?

Thanks

133318.jpg.ea330b18691e972e042bda857332fb45.jpg

133319.jpg.02ca04530b548b370ee735d19e34fff9.jpg

Welcome. Your coin has G06 detail (maybe VG8 on a good day) but likely would not grade because of environmental damage on the reverse. I would soak it in acetone to try to neutralize the black spots.

It's a $150 coin if you can get those spots under control.

The sharpness grade is Fine-12, but the piece does have some spots, and that dig to the right of "N" in "CENT" on the reverse might put it into an "genuine" holder. I don't think that it will get a "clean grade" which is too bad because the coin otherwise is not bad for a well circulated piece.

+1

The sharpness grade is Fine-12, but the piece does have some spots, and that dig to the right of "N" in "CENT" on the reverse might put it into an "genuine" holder. I don't think that it will get a "clean grade" which is too bad because the coin otherwise is not bad for a well circulated piece.