• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Call me dumb, but what is CAC

144 posts in this topic

I agree that with CAC there is low cost, a highly expert opinion, greater liquidity and a chance to learn. My very favorite CAC experience was after the first Coinfest in 2007, John Albanese said, "You have nice coins." I will never forget that.....

He has said that to me as well....even on some coins he rejected! Three of them in fact...

jom

I agree that with CAC there is low cost, a highly expert opinion, greater liquidity and a chance to learn. My very favorite CAC experience was after the first Coinfest in 2007, John Albanese said, "You have nice coins." I will never forget that.....

He has said that to me as well....even on some coins he rejected! Three of them in fact...

jom

Did ya get "a thrill up your leg?" A little fun here. :)

At the time, I knew very little about CAC and John Albanese. Had no idea how many, if any, would sticker. When 34 out of 40 stickered, I was very happy. Then went on to learn why the other 6 failed. I also was told to call him and given his phone #. I thought I had a problem, but 1 of my coins qualified for a gold sticker, and gold stickers were not ready at that time. Ha, I don't remember a thrill, it was more satisfaction...

jom

Did ya get "a thrill up your leg?" A little fun here. :)

I'm not sure. It was more like a shiver... :o

jom

By the way, did you guys get the e-mail from CAC offering a free submissions for up to 5 coins for liking them on Facebook, following them on Twitter, or adding them on Google+?

Hey, another reason I like CAC! JA Rocks! :D

I wonder if CAC will start including a letter with a small paragraph on why a coin was rejected?

When JA gets tired of me calling after every rejection. lol

jom

In my experience, many of those collectors who think they need the help with grading the least, actually need it the most. ;)

Now there are at least two people that have posted in this thread that could grade for a living that I know of.

MJ

Mark, Isn't every coin looked at by at least 2 people?

That is my understanding, John.

Mark, besides JA and BS who is the third?

MJ

In response to Kurtdog - I dont think at least in my case I will ever be able to grade and assess a coin as well as someone like MF and JA who live and breathe numismatics, so CAC and eagle eye stickers are something that can give me confidence in a purchase or a bid. Having said that, I think CAC is taking originality too far for my tastes some somtimes. I have seen some green beaned coins in hand that are simply btt uglee because of their original toning and lack eye appeal. So even CAC coins, I am now cautious about buying/bidding w/o seeing in hand....

Best, HT

In response to Kurtdog - I dont think at least in my case I will ever be able to grade and assess a coin as well as someone like MF and JA who live and breathe numismatics, so CAC and eagle eye stickers are something that can give me confidence in a purchase or a bid. Having said that, I think CAC is taking originality too far for my tastes some somtimes. I have seen some green beaned coins in hand that are simply btt uglee because of their original toning and lack eye appeal. So even CAC coins, I am now cautious about buying/bidding w/o seeing in hand....

Best, HT

I don't think there's any question that CAC endorses the best coins. I'm just not accustomed to bidding in the blind, but were I, I could see the utility of such an endorsement.

Mark, Isn't every coin looked at by at least 2 people?

That is my understanding, John.

Mark, besides JA and BS who is the third?

MJ

Bill Wetzler

I find it hard to believe that someone as numismatically adept as yourself has failed to see the disparity of market prices between CAC and non-CAC coins.

It is obvious that the CAC sticker inspires collector confidence, which does increase liquidity and resale value.

I'm fully aware that CAC coins trade for premiums. I'm saying - I don't see why I should pay a premium for a CAC coin. I'm perfectly willing to pay a premium for a nice coin, but I can view the coin and make up my own mind, I don't need someone else telling me that this coin is nice for the grade or not. It's just another crutch for people who can't grade. What I'm saying is - I'm not convinced I need to pay CAC for their services, and I'm not convinced that just because a coin has a green sticker it is worth so much more than one which doesn't.
Jason, I will say that I have seen a lot of pictures of coins that are in your collection. I believe that if the time ever came to liquidate part of all of your collection you would greatly benefit from utilizing the service.

Seeing that the cost of submission for coins that value less than $10k is $12.50 and say that a $1000 coin with a sticker might sell for say $1100, that would be a net profit of almost $90. So, why wouldn't a person who wants to make a bit more profit use the service? There are a few coins in my possession that I am still considering sending in. Just haven't made the leap yet.

....I had wondered about the actual cost of this. That's actually kind of reasonable. I've used CAC search filters to weed out a large volume of lots and thought the coins I saw looked nice.....but I'm so new to all this it doesn't help to have my opinion. The part I DO like about CAC is getting someone ELSE'S opinion who isn't so new to the game. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u