• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why, When I Requested Conservation, I didn't get it?

2 posts in this topic

I recently sent two coins in for conservation. One was a SEGS "Dip Residue" on the insert, peace dollar while the other was a 1795 Token that had been laquered.

Both of these coins were returned without any conservation.

The dip residue should have been easy to perform. Also, are you not able to remove laquer from a coin?

I was a bit surprised and disapointed.

Not all coins submitted to NCS will be conserved. Coins submitted to NCS for conservation will first be evaluated. This evaluation will determine several things. Coins already certified will be evaluated to see if the stated grade will at least be maintained after conservation. Coins are also evaluated to see if conservation work would indeed be beneficial. Coins will then be evaluated to determine the best techniques to improve both the appearance of the coin and its long-term stability. The evaluators look at each coin individually and give their opinions based on what will likely lead to the best results economically, aesthetically, and allow for most stability long-term.

There are many instances when already certified coins will be passed on for conservation when it is felt there is a significant risk that the stated grade may not be maintained after conservation. There are frequently coins submitted that are better left as is and not conserved. This is true of coins with attractive toning, patina has developed on copper coin, or in some cases when things such as lacquer have been applied to the surfaces. Then during the last stage of the evaluation it is determined what conservation might be best for the coin. This is when coins with attractive toning may only have residues removed while leaving the color.

If you feel that your coin was not conserved in error, please contact NCS customer service at 866-627-2646 or NCShelp@NCScoin.com to discuss your coin further or for instructions on how to resubmit your coin for a re-evaluation.