• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889 cc Morgan

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to coin grading, and am trying to learn how to grade a Morgan. Below is an 1889 cc that I am working with. I think it is either F15, VF20, or VF25. Any opinions (especially if accompanied by the supporting what, where, and why) are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for looking.

Very Respectfully,

Josh Brooks

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

It would be preferable to see an image of the entire side of each coin and with corrected white balance. That said, my best guess at this point would be VF 20.

I think I would have to net grade it due to what appears to be cleaning. To me a coin of this grade should have more crust to it. Either that or as Mark stated the white balance could be affecting what I see. F15 net if it's cleaned, 20 if it's not.

The white balance is off because I don't think that the coin is yellow. You also should strive to photograph the entire piece in one picture, not just the centers.Graders need to the all of the rims as well has the grading point areas, to look for rim nicks or filing. Sometimes people file the rims to do away with rim nicks, but that results a "no grade" situation for the coin.

Having said that I would grade that piece as a Fine-15.

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Josh!

Is there a possibility that you can get a close-up of the mintmark from directly overhead?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Yes, as soon as it gets here, I will take better photos, to include a close up of the mint mark.

Did something catch your eye?

Thanks,

Josh

The mintmark looks strange, and I wanted to compare it to known photos of authentic 89-CC's.

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=18

Chris

Chris, et al.,

New photos attached. Based on the link you sent me, could this be a VAM-2? If so, how does that affect the value?

Thanks again.

Very Respectfully,

Josh Brooks

2013-01-02%2B17.31.16.jpg

2013-01-02%2B17.31.53.jpg

2013-01-02%2B17.32.08.jpg

2013-01-02%2B17.32.45.jpg

Serif of C1 centered with bow knot

2013-01-02%2B17.30.22.jpg