• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 Shield Nickel - Grade Revealed

10 posts in this topic

What grade do you think this shield nickel received?

The obverse is a little flat but the reverse still has a fair amount of luster. I bought it thinking it had upgrade potential but the majority said 63 and 63 it is!

Here it is....

DSC_0001_zps094d7b81.jpg

DSC_0002_05_zpsae9debc7.jpg

1883shieldrev_zps7d1ef557.jpg

1883shieldshield_zpsc25ed772.jpg

what is going on with the letters? ( in god we trust)

Recut letters are not unusual on 1883 Shield nickels.

I'd say the coin is somewhere between MS-61 and 64 depending upon the mint luster. The coin looks dull in the picture, but if the coin has mint bloom, it is the higher grade. If it's dull it may have been cleaned or made from very tired dies which would result in the lower grade.

I'd say the coin is somewhere between MS-61 and 64 depending upon the mint luster. The coin looks dull in the picture, but if the coin has mint bloom, it is the higher grade. If it's dull it may have been cleaned or made from very tired dies which would result in the lower grade.

Thanks Bill, looks like a bad solder job

Thanks Bill, looks like a bad solder job

Here's my example, the letters look even more mucked up.

1883Shieldobv.jpg1883Shieldrev.jpg