• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 Columbian Exposition Half grade help!

9 posts in this topic

The angle and appearance of the photograph make it hard to make a definitive call on this one. In one sense it appears to be extremely well struck (It is unusual to see all of the lines in the sails defined on the reverse.) and to have the sharpness of a Mint State piece. In another sense it looks like it might have been polished which would be a huge negative. At any rate the piece has at least been dipped, which is a negative in view of some collectors. Short of seeing another photo, which might or might not clear up the issue, this is a piece that would need to be seen "in hand."

As to the price paid, $60 is "short MS-63 money" given that the Gray Sheet bid is $63 in MS-63. You probably did okay on the purchase IF the coin has not been polished.

Here is an MS-63 from my collection that very nice toning. As such the toning gives the piece a price premium.

ColumbianO.jpgColumbianR.jpg

The color makes me believe that it may have been cleaned or polished. There seems to be some sort of abrasion on the cheek. That really concerns me. Either of these would pretty much make the coin worth pretty much silver value. Sorry to give you bad news, but unless you could get better pictures that would be my evaluation of the coin.

If you are able to return the coin for a refund, I would urge you to do so.

And, based on the coin you posted and the price you paid, if you are going to seek opinions, I would suggest that you do so before you spend your money.

IT is actually In a Graded Capsule bye accugrade. Stating MS 63. When i recieve the coin i will post better pics. I would like to send it to NGC for grading. Thank you all for your advice. I am learnig more and more about what to look for. Thank you so much.

That looks like an ACG type holder to me. Return it before you waste your money on additional grading fees.

I'll second that.

Take this gentleman's advice. ACG does not have a good reputation.