• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's hot, and what's not?

10 posts in this topic

Seems every time I go to a coin show, what I want to buy is "hot", and what I want to sell is "not".

Well, what does the board think as to today's what is hot and what is not?

What's "hot": Eye appealing, quality, higher end materials for most classic series.

What's not: Generic common dates (including classic gold and 20th century U.S. silver series); coins that are low for the grade and have low eye appeal; most moderns (with some very clear exceptions); coins that are readily replaceable.

In short, it seems like the tough stuff and the very top quality items are moving at strong prices, and everything else is experiencing depressed prices.

Hot: Classic commems, particularly in higher grades.

Not: Modern registry pieces (unless you take them to auction and get lucky)

I didn't think that the high grade ones were doing so well unless they had drop dead gorgeous toning, AT or natural. All you have to do is fool the right person with the toning, and you in the chips, but not from me.

What's "hot": Eye appealing, quality, higher end materials for most classic series.

What's not: Generic common dates (including classic gold and 20th century U.S. silver series); coins that are low for the grade and have low eye appeal; most moderns (with some very clear exceptions); coins that are readily replaceable.

In short, it seems like the tough stuff and the very top quality items are moving at strong prices, and everything else is experiencing depressed prices.

This is what I have noticed as well

Hot: Classic commems, particularly in higher grades.

Not: Modern registry pieces (unless you take them to auction and get lucky)

I didn't think that the high grade ones were doing so well unless they had drop dead gorgeous toning, AT or natural. All you have to do is fool the right person with the toning, and you in the chips, but not from me.

I agree with Mr. Jones. Classic commemoratives (with few exceptions) have only decreased in value unless they have incredible toning.