• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States A Complete Encyclopedia

22 posts in this topic

Hello Folks

I am trying to confirm rumors that Dr Bowers is working on a new edition to this work. Can anyone confirm this and if so a release date?

I am under the impression that the edition dated 1993 is the most recent and if found for a good deal is it worth purchasing? Just a note I ask that not against its substance but rather because it is available for viewing on PCGS.

I do not want to put my money in it if a new work will be released soon. It listed for 149.99 but the cheapest I can find it now is $280 for a good used copy.

Opinions are welcomed and desired!

Thanks

Mike

My understanding (from a few years ago) is that the Encyclopedia was so expensive to produce that QDB said "never again!"

Instead of updating the whole Encyclopedia, Zyrus Press produced "A Buyer's Guide to Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars", which I understand updated the parts of the Encyclopedia that benefited from updating. I believe that the current edition is the 3rd edition, published in 2006.

In the meantime, of course, QDB has become associated with Whitman and embarked on the "Guide Book of . . ." series. I haven't read the Silver Dollar book, but I presume that it continues to update the necessary information from the Encyclopedia. The Guide Book, is, I think, in its 3rd Edition currently. Whitman seems to update it fairly regularly.)

Even though the Encyclopedia is available online, I find it (and all the books PCGS has put online) somewhat user-unfriendly and prefer to refer to my hard copy.

I continue to see the Encyclopedia in numismatic book auctions and in dealer inventories, so I think it will continue to be in demand. (I think the Encyclopedia was a $450 item before PCGS put it online, but its value has held up more than I feared it might.)

However, it is a truism in numismatics that even a collector of four-figure coins will hesitate to spend $300 on a good book on his specialty, so the Bid/Ask spread on the book may be somewhat large when the time comes for you to sell the book.

I agree about the online edition, I prefer the actual book anyway. I found a copy for 280 signed by QDB. That is the cheapest I can find, I think I might get it. Thanks for the info. The rumor that I initially inquired about was one I heard at the local coin show in Virginia Beach, VA.

Great question, that is how he was referred to when I heard the rumor. I have been collecting for a long time but it has only been recent that i started dabbling into the many references for the hobby. My collection had no angle before... So my point is, you are probably correct.

Q. David Bowers is sometimes referred to as "Dr. Bowers" in honor of his extensive numismatic knowledge and business expertise. On occasions when someone has used that term, I've notice a bit of a twitch - so possibly he does not approve but is too polite to mention it.

As for the dollar book, do not expect a revised edition. Dave lost control of large parts of his numismatic intellectual property when Bowers & Merena was absorbed by Collectors Universe. His original 1 million shares and control over B&M were diluted by a 1:10 reverse split. After a non-compete waiting period, he started ANR which was eventually absorbed by Stacks which then became part of Spectrum Group International Inc.

Dave's long association with Whitman Publishing LLC resulted in the Guide Book series with individual volumes devoted to specific series of U.S. coins. (Barry Lovvorn and I wrote the Peace dollar book, now in its 2nd edition.) Whitman Publishing, LLC operates as a subsidiary of Anderson Press Incorporated.

Okay then it sounds like it isnt a bad investment to get the book. I want it for educational purposes. The many varieties it discusses is really secondary since I dont have the kind of money to buy most early dollars. Is it good and worth the cost for that effect?

SubmarineMike,

Although I'm all for numismatic education and always encourage everyone to buy numismatic books, your questions seem somewhat contradictory.

If you're not interested in the book for its variety discussion, then why are you interested in the book?

If you're not buying early dollars, then what are you buying?

Perhaps you might ask yourself if you wouldn't be happier with either the Zyrus Press book on Silver dollars or either of the Guide Books (Morgan Dollars or Peace Dollars)?

I am after a reference that answers alot of why's. I am looking for an in depth historical analysis of why types and patterns were used and less interested in die varieties, but not uninterested. It may not be this book but I do know and acknowledge that Mr Bowers is a respected numismatist and I have briefly browsed the book on pcgs. Does that answer your question?

SubmarineMike,

I just don't want you to be disappointed with your purchase. (Most people are disappointed if they spend $300 to buy something when a $30 purchase would have served most of their needs.)

Actually, you've raised a much more interesting question!

Much to my disappointment, I've found, over the years, that "why" isn't really a question that most numismatic researchers ask. In fact, asking "why" (and not finding the answer in existing books) is how I began my journey as a numismatic researcher.

Most numismatic books focus on things that can be learned by observing coins: die varieties, die marriages, quality of production, number of survivors, etc. There's no question that QDB's Encyclopedia is one of the books that focused more on "why" than other books that were published at the time. (And, it's also a book that I would recommend to anyone interested in the history of the various types of silver dollars.)

What "whys" are you interested in understanding?

I'd be happy to point you toward other books that might answer your questions (or, confirm that the Encyclopedia addresses the topic).

That is a tough question because there isnt a specific thing that I can name. The angle that my collection focuses on is seated liberty dollars because that is what I can afford but my interests are really high in early dollars and I want to learn as muxh as I can about the why's of those choices during a very early America. I tried to answer these in Numismatic Art in America but it is a hard read with a different approach. The introduction for Trade Dollars for example is very thorough in QDB's book and I am after that dor all types of dollars. I appreciate your help and interest in this.

David G has some good advice.

The "why" answers, when there are any, are more likely to be found in US pattern and experimental coin research than in date/mint/variety books. Specialty books such as Willem's "Trade Dollars" will go into much more detail about circumstances that created the coin than a general book. (The Trade dollar and Morgan dollar share a lot of background as part of the bimetallic standard debates of the latter 19th century.) Sometimes, "why" comes down to the mint director liking a particular design.

The other piece you have to contend with is that many reference books have not been updated in decades. For example the Van Allen-Mallis early books on Morgan dollar varieties have a lot of background information, but that content has not been updated with newer research.

As for the early dollar designs, I’m not sure there is much – Bob Julian would know. Same for the seated dollar design and its origin.

(The Renaissance of American Coinage series examines the origin and “why” of the new designs from 1905-1921 in detail.)

SubmarineMike,

As RWB says, there may not be a whole ton of information about early dollars, but there is more about Seated dollars.

Certainly, the members of the John Reich Collectors Club and the Liberty Seated Collectors Club have accumulated a ton of knowledge. Both clubs have electronic newsletters in which you can post questions.

Please feel free to post your questions here and if we can't answer them, you can go on to approach the club newsletters.

Are you interested more in how the designs came about or in how various mintage decisions came to be made?

More in how and why the designs were chosen. I humbly appreciate all of the advice, I did secure a copy of QDB's History of United States Coinage and it looks like a good read, I am going to stick to it for now. I used my Christmas money today and picked up a nice trade dollar instead. Thank you everyone for the informatin is has allowed me to make an informed decision. One day I will likely seek out these books. If anyone is interested they are listed on ebay for 280 in like new condition and signed by QDB.

Happy New Year all!

The prices quoted for the encyclopedia surprise me. I hadn't realized it had fallen so much. At one time those two books were selling for between $800 and $1K.

I guess I stopped following the price of this set in the secondary market when it hit $450 or so, as that's the price I remember.

$280 sounds like a pretty decent current price for the set, especially if it's hard bound instead of paperback.

There was an "as new" paperback set in Charlie Davis' Dec. 1st auction that sold for $290 plus 15% plus S&H. (and I believe there are more copies in the upcoming Lake and Sklow auctions).

I would recommend getting the hardbound edition, as the volumes are about 1500 pages each and the book is 8 1/2" x 11" or so and it's a bit unwieldy in paperback.

edited to add: When the book first appeared on PCGS' website, I was afraid the price of the set would fall to almost nothing. I was relieved when the version PCGS posted was so "clunky" as I knew it would offer some support for the price of the physical volumes.

Some time ago a visitor tried to talk me out of my hard cover set, and also the commemorative coins book. I was offered a good price, in part because of all the notations I'd made, but mine were still needed for research.

To one and all, The Bower's book being discussed is the

most current info on Seated Lib's and Trade Dollars.

White's and Willem's books are decades old but still very

useful. The Bust dollar series is covered by Bollander

and Reiver. The Bower's books update recently found

die varieties and are laid out in a more easily read style.

I would highly recommend the Bower's book and just

about any other title One can not have to much info

regarding their hobby. Best wishes and Happy New

Year (2013). Louie