• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern vs. Classic...and the US Mint posted by #

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Amazing CS members

1 complained about the US Mint a few days ago putting out over a 120 different coins in 2009 alone and this year putting a S$1 American Eagle in every possible package. My intent was to alert a very few friends on this site of why the dramatic changes that were coming to my sets. That was it.

I was overwhelmed by the responses (all positive). It was about half and half when it came to offers to buy coins (congrats to hunter's gold on a single finest 1/0) and really awesome comments on some sets mostly regarding my 1879 mint set that's not even half finished. One collector in particular just straight up made my week and my year numismatically speaking. He also suggested that I write a part two that I was considering. So with all the nice thoughts and encouragement that is high on my to do list after the first of the year and FUN show of course. I really didn't think people read the descriptions much just looked at the coins and watched points. I thought I was a geek for reading not just all the journals but set descriptions. I've learned so much from so many especially JAA USA/Philippines. I had no idea of these coins before reading his entries. I can't fail to mention the free pictures from Todd Peters (RIP). Then the down side to exploring others sets; discovering new coins you don't collect or necessarily care about the history of but fall in love with it and MUST buy one. The 1853-O half dollar is that coin for me. The most beautiful coin ever minted; the arrows & rays are awesome and only minted for one year. Well there goes at least several hundred I don't need to spend.

I've sent PM's to a couple of collectors before but just the ones that were over the top and impressive to me; not having anything to do with awards or financial significance even though most belonged in both aforementioned categories. I never realized what just a quick and easy message would mean to someone or how much it wood brighten someone's day. So if you see something you admire or appreciate send a PM to that member.

Back to my 1879 set description, I will write a part 2 and if just three people read it and send me a PM which version they prefer then I'll pick the best 2 out of 3 and delete the loser. If everyone hates part 2 well I won't give out the fantastic mans name but please direct all negative responses to "VUM409" :D after all he is responsible for my elaboration on said description (and smile).

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about visit my 1879 set and realize I'm getting rid of everything but my Morgans, anything Carson City and 1879 mint and proof sets. And in case you are wondering I don't post on the chat boards because of all the flat put mean, hateful and smart mouth people. The journals, though not meant for some of this only has the nicest, polite and descent people anywhere.

Lastly, if you never experienced the joy of giving a large anonymous gift here's your chance. The 1879-CC G$10 is very rare in any grade and would make me feel complete...I mean you'd fell great! I'll even throw in $1000 to help you achieve your philanthropic goals. Also included I will take a full page journal dedicated to you; now that's PRICELESS because anybody can take out a full page in the New York Times! Thanks to all and Happy (____) to you and your family!

See more journals by #

#,

WOW what a journal!!! I hope you find that awesome 1853-O and wish you the best-of-luck on your 1879 mint set next year.

BTW --- How did Heritage go Friday??? Give me a shout later.

Merry Christmas to all,

Rick

I whole heartily agree with you on that arrows and rays half. I have the Philadelphia Mint coin in XF-40 with a double die reverse and it is a fascinating coin in the hand!

Gary