• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp 1878 7tf Morgan. What's up with the date?

19 posts in this topic

Hello all & Happy Holidays.

I just received this 1878 7tf Morgan in the mail yesterday. I won it at Heritage's Houston auction last month and while imaging it, I noticed that the date just didn't look quite right. There appears to be something going on. It looks crooked, the spacing looks weird & maybe some doubling & die chips. I just don't know. Is it a common VAM or what? I would appreciate any help. Should I be looking for something else to help identify this VAM based solely on the date?

Thanks for your help,

Don

18787tfpcgscaccombo.jpg

001-12.jpg

002-13.jpg

low8.jpg

Looks to me like the "18" was repunched, but I totally agree with you, the 1 and the 7 just look funky or 3D or something.

And Chris... if you don't mind explaining what "LONG NOCK" means? Never heard that term before but then again I'm not a Vammer.

Just looking at the VAM diagnostics, the D doesn't look broken and the die marker below the first 8 isn't there.

Looks like a VAM-83 Low 8 to me, based on the detail of the date (doubling), the polished nostril, etc.

The nock is the middle piece on the end of the arrow shaft.

But I'm not a Morgan guy.

Lance.

Looks like a VAM-83 Low 8 to me, based on the detail of the date (doubling), the polished nostril, etc.

Lance.

The V-83 doesn't have the same polished nostril and I don't see the doubling of the "UR" in PLURIBUS on the OP's coin. But, it's very hard for me to pick up most of the diagnostics from photos other than microscopic enlargements. My eyesight just isn't that good any more.

Chris

And Chris... if you don't mind explaining what "LONG NOCK" means? Never heard that term before but then again I'm not a Vammer.

The "nock" is where you find the slot on the feathered end of the arrow where you insert the bowstring. The Mint used both a long nock and a short nock. The OP's coin is definitely a long nock.

Chris

The "nock" is where you find the slot on the feathered end of the arrow where you insert the bowstring. The Mint used both a long nock and a short nock. The OP's coin is definitely a long nock.

Chris

Thanks Chris and Lance for your patience with a novice Vammer!!

Lance.

Well Lance, you do pretty well for a "Non Morgan Guy" !!! (thumbs u

And thanks Chris, you always come through for me in the clutch.

Thanks for your guesses as well Grip & Sam and I appreciate the kind words John (Messy)

18787tfdouubledpluribus.jpg

nosepolishedspikeear.jpg

longnockattachedolivebranch.jpg

... and the quality of the images nocks me out!

Looks like VAM 83 to me. Common variety, but quite the nice coin!

I can always depend on John to steer me in the right direction, but I'm still a bit confused.

I still see a few slight differences between the VW photos and Filthy's:

1) The polished nostril appears to have a wider gap than that on VW.

2) I don't see the spike on the inner ear.

3) I also noticed that the base wing feather next to the right leg of the eagle (viewer's left) appears to be somewhat polished away in Filthy's photo.

Could Filthy's be an LDS of the V-83 or would it be considered a new variety, say, V-83A?

Chris