• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Braided Hair Cent. What do you think?

9 posts in this topic

Well, I don't know much about these and I have none, so I forked out $29 for it. The pic's aren't great, but I was wondering if you can still tell if it wasn't worth the $. I guess either way, I can look at it as my first and like it for what it is. Still a cool coin to me.

1853onecenta.jpg

1853onecentb.jpg

The sharpness grade is VF-30 although a lot of dealers try to palm off pieces this degree of sharpness as an EF. They are wrong IMO.

The white balance in the photo is probably off which makes it hard to access the color. The coin was cleaned a some point, but the color could rescue the piece from that to a degree.

The $29 price would be a retail number from my perspective since Gray Sheet bid is $25 in Fine and $30 in VF. I'd net grade this piece to Fine for pricing purposes. The dealer buy price would be $20 range.

Thanks guys. Not a huge loss and worthy for a beginner :)

Don't get too discouraged. This FAR from the worst coin buy I've ever seen and as another person said the price paid was at a fair retail level. When you pay $3,000 for a coin that is worth $125, you have made a bad deal. I've seen people do that.

Don't get too discouraged. This FAR from the worst coin buy I've ever seen and as another person said the price paid was at a fair retail level. When you pay $3,000 for a coin that is worth $125, you have made a bad. I've seen people do that.

Yikes. I think I'd come here for advice before screwing up like that. Thx Bill.

Don't get too discouraged. This FAR from the worst coin buy I've ever seen and as another person said the price paid was at a fair retail level. When you pay $3,000 for a coin that is worth $125, you have made a bad. I've seen people do that.

Yikes. I think I'd come here for advice before screwing up like that. Thx Bill.

Friends of my father and mother in-law paid an "investment firm" $3,000 for a 1921 Peace dollar in "Gem Uncirculated" that was actually an AU-50. At least it wasn't polished.

That looks like a pretty good coin (I like it @ $17) but it's not gonna hurt you. Enjoy it, study the color and the next one you buy make sure the color is about the same. When they get all orangy and tangerine, they've been harshly cleaned.