• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of mis struck quarter

15 posts in this topic

Looks like an uncentered broadstrike.

Agree especially since it's missing the reeding which would indicate that it was struck out of collar. I have no idea as to value though.

It's neat, but it has been extremely circulated and there appears to be a bit of damage between the words "OF AMERICA". I would think an uncirculated version might bring at least $50 but I doubt this one would be worth more than $10. This is just my opinion as I am not an error collector.

I'm with the off center broadstrike out of collar group.

Uncentered Broadstrike not off-centered broadstrike. Not the same thing.

By definition a broadstrike is a coin struck without the collar in place.

A centered broadstrike has the design well centered and the planchet spreads out evenly all the way around.

An uncentered broadstrike has the design off to one side with the wide spread area off to the other side. The key thing is though that the ENTIRE design is still on the planchet.

An off-center broadstrike is like the previous one but now at least part of the design is missing. The missing amount can be anything from just part of some of the letter all the way to almost the entire design being gone.

I'm not an error collector either, but I find them interesting, and I have read quite a lot over the years. One important thing is to have a through knowledge of the minting process. It helps you to understand exactly how errors occur and to be able to recognize many examples of PMD because there is nothing in the minting process that could have created the so called error.