• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone tell me about these

10 posts in this topic

These are the oldest coins in uncles collection, they seem quite interesting. I don't know where he got them from, I presume from other collectors during his travels.

Is there anything special I should do with these coins? The Associated Irish Mine Company Half Penny is quite corroded, and the surface has become very fragile (you can see the wear on the shield). The other one seems to be made out of silver and seems fairly hardy.

How do I make my picture come in as an embedded object inside my post?

hi.gif

Collecting World Mandela Legal Tender Coins

589a8ccae974d_553309-Coin2jpeg.jpg.c624a9e2d3131fb1c51ce06b9a1b57db.jpg

Usually, when you click on the red "attachment" after posting in the testing forum, you'll get a heading that starts...

(http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//) without paretheses,

and all that follows is your specific pic. All you do then is hit the "Image" link across from the red font color and type in the complete heading into your post.

But when I did yours, I got two different ones.

1)553309-Coin%202%20jpeg.jpg---This in my browzer heading

2)553309-Coin 2 jpeg.jpg---This over your pic heading

There's a prob here, as they should match.

Using the first one, I got no pic.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//Coin%202%20jpeg.jpg

Using the second one, I got no pic.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//Coin 2 jpeg.jpg

As you can see, gaps aren't "allowed"

I tried to find where you did the "test" in the testing forum but couldn't find it. Try doing only one pic at a time (one coin either side, then other side second test). I think you'll have no prob after that.

When you put an attachment on, as you have done, you can then click on the attachment link and copy the URL from your address area on your monitor. Then, when you are writing something in a post, if you click the "Image" link from the "Instant UBB Code", which is just below and to the right of the writing area, another box pops up that has a space for the URL. Simply paste the URL that you copied earlier and hit enter. Your image will be embedded in your post.

one of a multitude of private tokens that were issued by British tradesmen in the 1780s and 1790s to relieve the chronic shortage of copper coinage in Great Britain (apparently, Mad King George only believed in gold and silver coinage, although he did make a few copper coins in the 1770s and again around the turn of the century). Your coin is identical to one I have in my collection, which I paid $8.00 for, although your coin is a grade or two in better condition.

As for your other coin, I can't tell what it is exactly. The design is from William III (of William and Mary fame), who was King of England from 1689 to 1702. From the scan, the coin appears to be copper, but the reverse design was used on silver coins above sixpence, and on gold coins of the era. It could possibly be a token for circulation, or perhaps a jeton (used in games).

having reread your original post, the bottom coin may be a silver shilling or half crown, if the coin is indeed silver (the scan makes it look like copper). At any rate, a sixpence would be rather flimsy, while a shilling (approximately the size of a quarter), would have some heft to it. A half crown would be about the size of a half dollar.

thumbsup2.gif

I got some info by looking around. I found out a bit about the Irish penny Mine Token (probably worth about $15) & the shilling (indeed, silver - Bristol Mint Mark, where they were produced from September 1996 to September 1998. A nice little inheritance IMO, val around $60-$70 cloud9.gif ). 893blahblah.gif

I promised dad that if I found anything with value, I'd give him a cut grin.gif ... I have no intention selling these, but I'll be "buying" them from him. 27_laughing.gif

My images were photo's - there is something going on with the colouring & I need to figure out how to fix it. All silver comes out a copper colour. So far, the best I can come up with is by altering them to close on Black & white confused-smiley-013.gif. These shots were both taken out in the sun-light, indoors is even worse & my gold comes out very yellow. sumo.gif I got a scanner now, will see what that does (first gotto find out why my scans are so high-memory (A4 letter doc, low resolution, is 78mb!) ---- need help from you pro's 893applaud-thumb.gif

In time I have many coins I need some help identifying (Some are Japanese and Indonesian) - so stick around, I'll post them when I get a chance.

hi.gif

Collecting World Mandela Legal Tender Coins

I found out a bit about the shilling (indeed, silver - Bristol Mint Mark, where they were produced from September 1996 to September 1998 .
confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif