• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the deal with this

10 posts in this topic

it looks corroded or pitted, although it has quite a bit of detail still

even if it was a thin plancet, it is damaged

accurate weight may help some, but probably not much

what do you mean wider?

stand them up side by side, if your questionable 1866 is taller, it has been flattened somehow

squished between leather with a hammer, or ....

no idea why someone would do this, unless they were hoping to make it as bid as a nickel for some reason...

what do you mean wider?

stand them up side by side, if your questionable 1866 is taller, it has been flattened somehow

squished between leather with a hammer, or ....

no idea why someone would do this, unless they were hoping to make it as bid as a nickel for some reason...

It appears wider and thinner, like it had been flattened somehow. I hope to get rid of what is all over it just with distilled water and verdicare. I am not comfortable using anything else on coppers like acetone since it may discolor it. I soaked a heavily corroded steel cent found in circulation for a month and was surprised about all the corrosion that came off and even stuck to a worthless foreign coin in the same container.

Picture isn't good enough for me to form a definite opinion, but it looks like it could either be flattened or possibly a broadstrike.

I heard this at another forum. It is either been flattened or a broad-strike. I don't know which one. It is now taking a bath in distilled water to see if it will help with the corrosion then I will probably get some Verdicare because there is just nothing I can think of to use on it I trust not to alter the color.