• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question re bust half-dollars: do "Stu Keen" flips add any value or interest?

6 posts in this topic

This is really a question, but I am placing it here in the "Money Marketplace" in case it leads to subsequent marketing attempts.

If I had some bust halves purchased since the mid-1980s to sell, would there be any value in retaining the "Stu Keen Rare Coins" flips with them? The flips might show Keen's grade and attribution, for example.

Let's assume the coins needed to be transferred to newer non-PVC flips.

Thanks in advance.

Stu Keen is a dealer who has had a price list with Bust Halves for many years. Flips are always nice to keep, but these are unlikely to impart any additonal value to the coins.I always try to keep original flips with my coins even if they might be of minor consequence.

Be well,

Chuck

This is really a question, but I am placing it here in the "Money Marketplace" in case it leads to subsequent marketing attempts.

If I had some bust halves purchased since the mid-1980s to sell, would there be any value in retaining the "Stu Keen Rare Coins" flips with them? The flips might show Keen's grade and attribution, for example.

Let's assume the coins needed to be transferred to newer non-PVC flips.

Thanks in advance.

James,

I've never heard of a premium being attached to any of Stu Keen s flips. I have 8 Bust Half Dollars purchased from Mr. Keen over the last several years (all raw) and I keep his inserts with grade and attribution for my own reference. As I do for coins purchased from other noted Bust Half dealers. If I sold any of those coins I would include the inserts as a source of provenance but I don't know if that would add to the monetary value.

BTW if you are considering selling some Stu Keen Bust Halves, pm me with a list. I'm always looking to pickup a nice Bust Half.

Carl

I do not know that they are worth a premium, but they are interesting from a pedigree/history perspective. I like to be able to trace my coins.

I have definitely kept the flips that Heritage has sent with some of my bust halves, especially the Witham one. They sent the envelope that my coin had been stored in as well - a very interesting addition to the lot, in my opinion.