• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STORAGE QUESTION posted by Eagles-R-it

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

CONTAMINATION?

Question to all the long time members about storing slabs. I have many slabs in safe deposit boxes, and this particular place does not climate control there safe deposit area. None of the others in town do either. This is the question, I usually have 4 to 5 slabs held together with a rubberband. Will the rubberband damage the slab or the coin through disinegration or release of gases either on the coin or the holder?

I look forward to feedback, oh! almost forgot, this is one of my latest.

As always, thanks for reading my journal and super thanks for looking at my sets.

12654.JPG

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

I myself wouldn't use a rubber band to keep them together. Have you thought about purchasing NGC Storage Boxes for your collections. You can order them right here from NGC (Minimum of 10) I believe it is. Or you can pay more and get them at E-Bay. All my collections are in them.

Mike

wizard coin supply has a nice range of slab holder boxes anywhere from ngc boxes to acid free cardboard boxes that hold up to 60 slabs. Im also in agreement that using rubber bands is a very bad idea.

also if you keep your house somewhat climate controled Id look into a nice floor safe. thats what I use to keep my 700 plus slabs and belive me after they got the safe removed from the floor it would take 6 large men to get it out of the house all the while being video taped,,,,,,

Temporary storage - ones I'm going to sell I keep in the NGC cardboard boxes they return submissions in - it's a safe, scratch free environment that has already been paid for...

Long term in my safe I like the Eagle brand storage albums - protects the slab and allows for unobstructed viewing of the entire slab. I keep my Roosevelt's in a series of 6 albums. Makes the collection easy to view and is perfectly safe for storage.

Todd

wizard coin supply has a nice range of slab holder boxes anywhere from ngc boxes to acid free cardboard boxes that hold up to 60 slabs. Im also in agreement that using rubber bands is a very bad idea.

also if you keep your house somewhat climate controled Id look into a nice floor safe. thats what I use to keep my 700 plus slabs and belive me after they got the safe removed from the floor it would take 6 large men to get it out of the house all the while being video taped,,,,,,

You should hear the story Glenn Beck told about his neighbors safe, during Thanksgiving holiday, people went into house, used a jackhammer to remove safe, it was cemented to floor, then took safe out, other neighbor had something like jaws of life open them. Go to liberty safes and watch torrture videos of safes.

Intercept Shield used to make the best Archival Storage boxes for slabs, but stopped maing them due to patent issues. The boxes used a corosion intercept technology pioneered by Lucent Technology Bell Labs. I moved all of my NGC and PCGS slabs into them last year from the respective 20 coin plastic boxes when I bought possibly the last boxes that Wizard Supply had in inventory. They have a life of approx 10 years. If you use the storage slab boxes and keep in a safe I would also add silica gel bags to protect against moisture.

Regards,

RicH

I work at a bank. Our safe box is climate controlled to room temperature. (Nothing special) Even in climate control, the rubber bands will break down from age. Skip them. www.jpscorner.com has acid free cardboard storage boxes for slabs for around $2 - $6 apiece. Other than that, there are a number of products on the market that help control moisture. That should help a bit.

For storage of the slabs, I go with the plastic NGC storage boxes. They work quite well. I also perfer a safe. I like to have my coins on hand.

Also, very nice pick up. The Buffalo commemorative is my favorite and probably the best the Mint has ever put out.

Jeffrey