• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth crossing over 1878 S Morgan from ICG to NGC?

8 posts in this topic

I've been hearing that a few coin graders, including IGC, tend to grade too high and when sent to NGC or PCGS, they're often downgraded a point. I'm sure everyone has their favorite, but is there any truth in this? Will more experienced collectors offer a lower price just because of this?

I just got a decent deal on a 1878 S MS63 and was thinking of sending it in with a few other coins as a crossover. Since it's not so rare, would this be a waste of $?

Thanks!

To me, Yes it would be a waste of good money. 1878-S is only worth $50 to $70 in that grade and really shouldn't be certified at all :) ! If it were worthy of MS-66 consideration, then it could make sense.

Unless the ICG holder is horribly scuffed up or something, keep the coin where it is and enjoy.

What other coins are you thinking of crossing?

I'm planning on sending a few ungraded coins in when I pick them up later this week so I thought I'd toss this in there. The case is in great shape, so I'll just leave it as is. Thanks for the advice.

I'll be looking to send in an 1885 &1888 S Morgan, 1832 1/2 dime and an 1844 Seated Liberty and if I'm lucky, a few more :)

Here's the ICG coin. I was also goung to send in the one next to it, but was advised that it's not worth it either. I'm still pretty new at this, so I'm trying to figure out why. To me, when I look at these side by side, the ungraded looks like a better coin. It has a better pinwheel, overall luster and its much whiter. I can see where the hair detail isn't as good in a few places, but it also has better hair detail in some places the graded one doesn't. Is it just a fact that it costs to have it graded professionally and isn't worth the extra $ to have it done? Is it something that I might want to do (if I get a freebee or something) for long term preservation? I have lots of Q's..perhaps someone can recommend some educational reading ;) Thanks again.

morgan1007.jpg

I agree, neither are worth the cost of sending in to a TPGer. The ICG MS-63 is perhaps a bit higher than it deserves (perhaps 62 IF that weak hair area is just a soft strike and the back is acceptable, AU if it is wear)... better to just enjoy the coin as it is now. The 1904 is worth a few bucks over it's silver content IMO

Good advice provided. One thing I would add is that ICG coins are usually discounted 1 or 2 points in MS grades. Obviously it depends on the coin, but myself and many others do it.