• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's December 2012 ONTARIO SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!!

11 posts in this topic

I arrived for set up at the Ontario Convention Center Thursday morning. It was another beautiful sunny day in Southern California!

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

The bourse room is very open and spacious, with lots of room between the aisles, and within each of our tables.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

This is my son, Erik, who was helping me on Thursday – he loves talking to people and trying to help them find what they need. I really enjoy having him help me at my shows!

IMG_0331.jpg

And speaking of Erik, I hope you don’t mind me giving a tiny plug to Erik’s first book that was just published – “The Snake and the Fox” – which is the first book of The SomnAgent Trilogy. Needless to say, I’m very proud of him!

TheSnakeandtheFoxCover.jpg

It’s available on Amazon: [L=The Snake and the Fox at Amazon]http://www.amazon.com/The-Snake-Fox-SomnAgent-ebook/dp/B00ACNAEWY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355086952&sr=8-5&keywords=the+snake+and+the+fox[/L]

and Barnes & Noble: [L=The Snake and the Fox at Barnes & Noble]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-snake-and-the-fox-erik-nelson/1113844186?ean=2940015780284[/L]

The show opened at noon to the public and soon we were quite busy. I very pleasantly surprised that there was a good amount of people who came to the show on Thursday. As the show slowed down around 4pm, of course, it was time to open a bottle of wine. I had brought this wonderful Rombauer and it didn’t disappoint!

IMG_0332.jpg

Then my good friend and booth helper, Rich, arrived and brought me two more wonderful bottles of wine – whahoo!! Rich has an exceptional taste in great wine!!

IMG_0333.jpg

Rich is an avid coin collector whose father was also a huge collector and one of the original founders of the Long Beach Coin Club. Rich has an amazing collection of just about every kind of coins and paper money. He has a very discerning eye for quality coins, especially Indian cents, and is one of the nicest people I know, not to mention he’s a great friend.

After the show, a large group of us went to Rosa’s Italian restaurant for dinner. It’s a “regular” stop for many of the dealers who attend the Ontario show because it’s just around the corner and has excellent food!

This is Rich, Erik and me waiting at the bar for our table.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

This is their wonderful lobster bisque

IMG_0338.jpg

It went really well with their very tasty chicken pasta with lobster sauce! (It was so good, I ate it before I remembered to take a picture!)

This is our dinner group, which included Logan McKechnie (Vams & More) and his beautiful daughter Cindy.

IMG_0339.jpg

Before the show opened on Friday, I took a few minutes to walk around the bourse and take some pictures.

This is Donna and Sid of Baubles & Booty who are some of the nicest and kindest dealers you’ll ever meet!

IMG_0341.jpg

This is Dawn (of CK Shows who put on the Ontario show), Steve Price (of Penny Lane Coins in Huntington Beach), and Bruce Braga (of Bruce Braga Rare coins in Sloughhouse, Callifornia).

IMG_0348.jpg

Logan’s daughter Cindy will now be ANACS’ west coast representative, so Mandy was showing her the ropes.

IMG_0354.jpg

I realize many PCGS and NGC collectors may be a little surprised to see ANACS set up at a regional show, but you’d be very surprised at how much business ANACS does simply because they set up at smaller shows that PCGS and NGC don’t participate in, so ANACS gets a lot of business from those collectors who can’t make it to the national shows. I understand they will also be at the Tucson, San Jose, and the new Santa Clara shows. I was very happy to hear this if for no other reason than I love hanging out with Cindy!!!

This dealer had a really beautiful gem inventory

IMG_0340.jpg

The show had a couple guest lecturers, including Logan (Vams & More) who was one of the speakers giving a program on – what else – VAMS!

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

Peter Anthony gave a talk about the Panda coins and also held a book signing

IMG_0366.jpg

The show opened to the public at 10am and, with my table right near the front door, I was again pleased to see a steady stream of people coming through the doors.

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

During the show, a collector brought me this interesting bronze bar depicting a Flying Eagle on one side, and a serial number on the other. I had no idea what it was commemorating or made for but I ended up buying it because I really liked the Flying Eagle design. I welcome any information on what it is if anyone has any ideas!

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Here are some more of my favorite people! This is Harold and his wife – they used to own a coin shop in Laguna Hills but he has since “retired” from running the store but still loves coins!

IMG_0355.jpg

This is another avid collector friend, Chuck. He has an unusual type set with the lowest grade coin he could find that is very worn, but original and unmolested where you can still see the date!

IMG_0365.jpg

Many people know I like copper errors so this guy gave me this very messed up elongated penny!

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

That afternoon, I opened these two most excellent bottles of wine which seemed to disappear very quickly (no, I didn’t drink them all by myself!)

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

A friend took a picture of me with my red matching iPhone cover (it matched my shirt and my booth!).

Charmyandreddotiphonecover.jpg

That night we just went over to Marie Calendars restaurant since it was right next to our hotel – and of course, they have the best pies ever- my favorite is their sour cream blueberry pie! I think I’m going to have to go back on my diet after the holidays….. ;-(

Mandy (of ANACS) just happened to have a polka dot iPhone cover like mine!

CharmyandMandyiphonecovers.jpg

On Saturday we had lots of kids, especially boy scouts since they were holding the Coin Collecting Merit Badge class at the show. Several of them stopped by my table to look at my deep die cap and penny stack errors

Charmyandscouts.jpg

scouts.jpg

A few “notables” even stopped by my table on Saturday – here are Ron Guth and Mike Farone!

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Ad here’s BustHalfBrian who helped Steve Price (Penny Lane Coin) at his table

IMG_0370.jpg

John/1916D10C and CoinCrazed74

IMG_0382.jpg

My favorite Two Cent collector, Glenn and his wife Carol, stopped by to show me his beautiful completed certified Two Cent collection

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0371-1.jpg

This is a new group of items I just added to my “Penny Exonumia” collection. They are referred to as “doll house” items that were hand made in England and each item contains British pennies (and a couple other types of coins).

IMG_0376.jpg

And last but not least, my show newps! (The raw 1930-S has gorgeous rainbow toning that I couldn’t quite capture in the photo.)

IMG_0378.jpg

While in Houston, the show seemed to start out slowly and picked up each day, this show started out with a bang, but then for me business slowed down quite a bit on Saturday. While there seemed to be a good crowd on Saturday, many were families with kids, so I didn’t conduct as much business as I had the previous two days. For me, I would grade this show a C.

So that’s about it for my 2012 show reports! I am headed to the Las Vegas PCGS show at the Cosmopolitan this week, but I don’t plan on doing a report since I want to be able to do some business at the show, then play a lot of poker!

Happy Holidays to all of you!!!

Another highly appreciated report, thanks, including the offsprung author. Can we assume your own very youthful appearance is due to the frequent dosages of liquid resveratrol?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Charmy,

That Flying Eagle Cent bar is a NumisStamp. In the 1970s columnist Mort Reed joined forces with a private minter and produced a complete USA type set of these from half cents through double eagles. They were struck in base metals that simulated the colors of the original coins. NumisStamps were extremely accurate reproductions and quite attractive.

I always wanted to put together a set, but the original issue price of around $5 each seemed like too much at the time. I recently managed to buy a nearly complete set in the original two-volume album for about $80. The bars are attached to the album pages by adhesive strips on the back of each bar, and it appears that just three or four were lost over the years before I bought my set on eBay.

Nice report and photos. I did not know that there were palm trees in Ontario. It must be some knind of local micro climte - I've never seen a plam tree in Toronto, and I assumed both Canadian cities were too cold for palms.

Canadian palm trees ---- it's one of the benefits of global warming.

But don't laugh. The tall handsome fan-leaved palms outside the Convention Center shown in Charmy's fine photos are relatively hardy, and can even survive as far north as Canada, at least in southernmost British Columbia. The species is Washingtonia filifera, the California Fan Palm.

Nice report and photos. I did not know that there were palm trees in Ontario. It must be some knind of local micro climte - I've never seen a plam tree in Toronto, and I assumed both Canadian cities were too cold for palms.