• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1904 O Morgan Dollar

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if a coin like this is worth sending in to get graded. I think it's ok in the container it's in, but I think having someone grade it would be better in the long run. Can you tell by these pics? Not a pic pro yet, so this is the best I can do. Thanks!

1904oa.jpg

1904ob.jpg

This coin is not worth sending in .

Looks Au 58 - MS 61 - I dont think it is polished , hard to tell from your photos.

Based on this coin is worth $40 max.

Really hard to give an accurate grade from those pics but I can see enough to know it would be a low MS coin at best. Being a common date in a low mint state it would be about a $50 coin and not be worth submitting. A 1904 O in MS 62 is listed at $55.20 and a 63 is $68.40. I think 63 is the highest this coin could possibly go.......if it's problem free.

Anything less than a 65 in a common date is not worth submitting.......some say 66. Unless of course there's something else about the coin driving up the value such as DMPL, Variety, Error etc......

Can't see the hair too well. Looks polished. AU-MS Details

I definitely understand why you may have think that the piece has had some work done to it, and it may possibly be cleaned. With this said, there is also a good chance that this is due to the photography. I will say that the if the coin is problem free, it would likely be somewhere in the AU58-MS61 range.

MS-63 to 64, I think the plastic capsule is making it look bad. Fields are pretty clean, hit at 2 o'clock and maybe a hit on the cheek, reverse looks really good, weak strike on the breast feathers maybe.

MS-63 to 64, I think the plastic capsule is making it look bad. Fields are pretty clean, hit at 2 o'clock and maybe a hit on the cheek, reverse looks really good, weak strike on the breast feathers maybe.

Yes, there's a small scratch on her cheek. Good eye :)

These pics were taken with an iPhone, so they aren't really doing the coin justice. The reflection in the plastic is making it difficult to get a shot showing the luster. As far as any cleaning goes; I'm not worried about it as I know for sure it's not cleaned.

I'll try a couple more, but I might as well ask for a camera for X mas :) Thanks again for all of your feedback. On Monday, I'm getting a 1878 S MS-63 so I can compare. It's ICG though and after reading around, they might not be the best in the business and grade higher? I still have a lot to learn...whats opinion and fact (save for another topic)

morgans222.jpg

morgans333.jpg

I paid $50 for it.