• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

22 Peace Dollar

15 posts in this topic

I went into a local coin shop this morning for the first time. The only reason I never went in before today is, I live on the Central Coast in California.....Carmel to be exact. I figured the price to operate a B & M shop here would be so high that the coins would be through the roof. To my surprise I was able to pick up a few coins for the collection a reasonable prices.

This one has a ton of luster although it does have a few milk spots on Liberty's neck and a rim ding at 1 o'clock.

Paid $50, appears to be album toned.........Is it worth the $50?

toned22peaceobvamprev.jpg

Based on what I can see in the images, it looks like an attractive MS64 example. If so, $50 seems reasonable.

I agree this coin would grade at MS64 (nice toning BTW), but wouldn't a TPGer drop the coin into a body bag for that rim ding? I have a nice $2 Newfie gold piece I have been holding off on sending in due to a similiar problem ...

Based on what I can see in the images, it looks like an attractive MS64 example. If so, $50 seems reasonable.

I agree this coin would grade at MS64 (nice toning BTW), but wouldn't a TPGer drop the coin into a body bag for that rim ding? I have a nice $2 Newfie gold piece I have been holding off on sending in due to a similiar problem ...

I had missed that. You might be right - it's difficult to know, without seeing the coin in hand.

I had missed that. You might be right - it's difficult to know, without seeing the coin in hand.

It's suprisingly easy to miss rim dings when evaluating the fields and devices ... I did the same when I bought my Newfie and only noticed it when I took a picture of it years later. Now it glares at me when I take it out ... Live and learn

It's suprisingly easy to miss rim dings when evaluating the fields and devices ... I did the same when I bought my Newfie and only noticed it when I took a picture of it years later . Live and learn

While rim dings will hurt the grade or bodybag a coin, I don't think the one on this Peace is nearly severe enough to bodybag it. It will limit the grade to 64, but I see no reason why it wouldn't grade. Its a big coin and a small bump.

While rim dings will hurt the grade or bodybag a coin, I don't think the one on this Peace is nearly severe enough to bodybag it. It will limit the grade to 64, but I see no reason why it wouldn't grade. Its a big coin and a small bump.

Good point, Physics.

Maybe someone will post a few examples of BB'ed and graded coins with minor rim dings for comparison. I know I would like to see what is acceptable and what is not.

It's suprisingly easy to miss rim dings when evaluating the fields and devices ... I did the same when I bought my Newfie and only noticed it when I took a picture of it years later . Live and learn

+1

Good point, Physics.

Maybe someone will post a few examples of BB'ed and graded coins with minor rim dings for comparison. I know I would like to see what is acceptable and what is not.

I think that you have an interesting point, but the grading services themselves are not very consistent. I do, however, think that as a general rule, very small, almost imperceptible rim dings will not result in a no grade status. A major ring ding will.