• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

19th Century US Mint Technology

22 posts in this topic

I’ve referred to From Mine to Mint in several posts and it occurred that some sort of short explanation might be helpful to collectors in understanding what the book is about.

The primary reason for my writing “From Mine to Mint” was to investigate and better understand the equipment, technology and operating processes of the US Mint prior to the twentieth century. There have been many articles written about certain parts of the minting process, but they have been isolated and often built on very limited and inaccurate sources. In reading through most of the “standard” numismatic literature about the mint it became apparent that the level of detail was not especially deep. Investigating the usual sources simply confirmed this.

Several years ago, I began recompiling my research materials to emphasize operations and machinery. Again, this told only a small part of the story. Therefore, I started digging for contemporary information. The result was the location of nearly 400 contemporary text sources both published and manuscript, in addition to all of the Library of Congress, US, French and British Patent Offices, NARA, etc. archives. These 400 sources are in English, French and German and over 90% were created prior to 1900. Nearly all concern technology and operations used at the US Mints.

So what’s in the book? It contains detailed descriptions and illustrations of how the US Mints operated from deposit of the miner’s gold and silver to counting and bagging of coins, and acceptance of orders from banks and merchants. At times, each mint did some things differently than others, and those differences are described. The level of detail goes down to the dimensions of furnaces and crucibles, to the size of pitchers used to pour acid into refining vats, to determining annealing temperatures, and how the adjusters separated coins by weight when preparing bags of gold. Every major and most minor pieces of equipment are described and illustrated with mechanical drawings, as well as showing how presses were adjusted for pressure, and why certain kinds of coinage errors occurred. Every US Mint and Assay Office is described with photos, measurements, floor plans and operating descriptions most from the original architect’s drawings. Changes in technology are explained from the Mint’s first steam engine in 1817 to electricity in the 1890s and these changes are put into the context of machinery and operations.

OK–– this is becoming a tedious read….. Anyone who has specific questions, please drop me PM and I’ll try to give a useful reply. As presently prepared From Mine to Mint is about 550 pages of text and illustrations, 6x9 format, 10 point type. It goes to press in January, 2013.

It's interesting that you mention German archives. Wasn't it a German mining engineer by the name of Deidesheimer who actually developed the timbering systems that were used in some of the Comstock mines?

I can't wait to get a copy of the book!

Chris

Sounds like a really fun read, and useful information, Roger. Congrats on another book!

Can we buy directly from you in January?

Lance.

I haven't figured out distribution or price beyond Wizard Coin Supply being the distributor....19th century German has my tiny brain so addled that I'm not sure who's buried in Grant's tomb at the moment.

PS: It will come with a searchable CD of the book instead of an index.

I've found a lot of great old photos and engravings. Here's the earliest known image of the Mint's pet eagle, Peter. I think this was taken after his accident on a flywheel....

Roast-Goose10.jpg

It helps explain the scrawny bird on the reverse of some coins. :)

The Mint was almost like an experimental lab. They worked with electricity, telegraphy, automated engraving, new machines, new kinds of fuel, metallurgy, coin circulation patterns, coin wear, medal production, etc. The officers were members of local Philosophical Societies, so it's natural their interests carried to work.

In preparing the next JNR issue on Franklin Peale, it is amazing how expansively these people operated.

I've been anxiously waiting on your book to be released ever since I first heard you mention it Roger. Tickled to death to know the time is almost here.

He won't tell you until you upload your correct avatar.

Tickled to death to know the time is almost here.

Me too! My eyes could use a rest... :)

The quantity of research is huge, and I've followed the highest level of quality possible. I hope future numismatists will build on the work and discover even more interesting things about how the US Mint really worked.

I've sent an electronic manuscript to several printers for quotes. Since the book is all B&W it should be fairly simple to print and bind. It is 6x9, 550 pages.

I've sent an electronic manuscript to several printers for quotes. Since the book is all B&W it should be fairly simple to print and bind. It is 6x9, 550 pages.

Nice!

(thumbs u

I'm trying to keep the cover price down, but for a small print run of only 500, that's difficult to do. Overseas printing is not an option - they do only 5,000+ copies. The book will probably have to sell for $30 just to break even.

Roger,

$30 for what will become a foundational text for all serious numismatic researchers is a HUGE bargain.

Frankly, I think you should have little difficulty pricing the book at $40 (which is the cover price for Doug Winter's 2009 soft cover book on Charlotte gold coins; his forthcoming book on Dahlonega coins might even be more).

Yep.....however Doug's book appeals to collectors of specific coins; this one has a broad base of potential interest but no specific collectors of minting technology.

Hi Roger,

I am extremely interested when your book goes to press. Count me in for a signed copy as an advanced order. I can send funds in advance if it helps you a wee bit. A number of members of the Bust Half Nut Club also would be interested. I can pre-announce what you are doing and round up a few orders if you like.

Best wishes and good luck,

Chuck

Chuck,

That would be great!

The book would be of main interest to Bust Half collectors in understanding the technology used from about 1835 forward. This is the period when Franklin Peale introduced radical changes in how coins were made - and those had a major impact of the appearance of halves and other coins.

There is also background information on pre-1835 processes, but I made no attempt to do more than skim the subject and present such new information that happened to be encountered. New research is being conducted by others into that era, and I did not want to present incorrect information to readers.