• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller photos vs. personal photos

10 posts in this topic

Whether it be a major auction house, Ebay, or the buy sell trade boards, let's face it, the seller's images aren't always the best. Sometimes we roll the dice & take a chance on a less than stellar photo but after buying enough coins online you kind of develop an abilty to determine what the coin will really look like in hand.

So, share your images and the seller's images and let's see how your gamble paid off (or not) :)

Here are a few from my Morgan set, but post any coin from any series you like

1883oobvheritage-horz-vert.jpg

1892ms64morgan-horz.jpg

1892OBVW-horz.jpg

1891oobverse-horz.jpg

1891ocombo.jpg

Latest purchase ...

Stacks' image of this 1875-CC 20 cent piece

1875-CC20CentO.jpg1875-CC20CentR.jpg

My image ...

1875-CCTwentyCentO.jpg1875-CCTwentyCentR.jpg

I am very well pleased with this piece. It is one of the best, if not the best strikes, I have ever seen of this issue. Usually these coins are poorly string at the top of the eagle's left wing and the corresponding area on the shield. You could pay $20 grand and not get as much detail as this piece has.

Why is it only an MS-62? There are pinch marks at 9 k on the obverse and reverse and two scratches hidden in Ms. Liberty's skirt. The coin has no rub.

Stacks' image ...

1801DollarO.jpg1801DollarR.jpg

My image ...

1801DolO.jpg1801DolR.jpg

Both images make this coin look better than it is. The piece does not have its original surfaces and has re-toned a bit. Yet the grade of EF-45 is accurate because the coin has a decent amount of luster on the obverse in the protected areas and enough luster to be called AU-50 on the reverse. For the price paid, I'm satisfied.

I hope I did not go over board. I have been working on my pics lately (again)

Stacks pics

164682_01.jpg

164682_02.jpg

My pics

1918-s50cobverse.jpg

1918-s50creverse-2.jpg

Teletrade pics

tele1886.jpg

tele18862.jpg

tele1212.jpg

tele19121.jpg

My pics

18861ctype1obverse.jpg

18861ctype1reverse.jpg

1912-s65br.jpg

Heritage pics

ha1917.jpg

ha19172.jpg

My pics

1917obverse1.jpg

1917reverse1.jpg

Bill, that 20 cent piece is remarkable! I've seen higher technical grades that aren't struck nearly as well nor do they possess the eye appeal that yours has. :applause: (thumbs u

Thank you, Thank you!!! :hi:

These are both example from eBay.

First, is this NGC MS66RD 1909 VDB cent, which was classified in the wrong area (as a dime) and only offered with an obverse picture (of so-so quality). I purchased it for $112.50 back in April 2012. I have since sold it (for $200) because I found a 1909 VDB MS67RD that I had to have.

eBay pictures/listing:

1909VDB_NGC_MS66RD_Lincoln_Cent_eBay_Listing.jpg

My pictures:

1909VDB_NGC_MS66RD_Lincoln_Cent_composite.jpg

======================

Second is this MS66 Buffalo Nickel, 1938-D. Common date, and not a high ticket item at all, but I saw a faint bit of toning in the horrible seller pics. I purchased it for $49 including shipping, and it is an extremely attractive coin in hand.

eBay pictures:

1938D_Nickel_MS66_NGC_eBay_pics.jpg

My pictures:

1938D_Nickel_MS66_NGC_direct.jpg

This is probably my best example.

Seller's Photos: Heritage

JeffersonNickel1941-DNGCMS67Star-15.jpg

My Photos:

JN1941-DNGCMS67Star5FS.jpg

I was pretty good at predicting what Heritage photos looked like back then and knew this coin was a monster. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of a deal on the coin. I think I must have been up against a live bidder who saw the coin in hand.

Now if this coin wasn't certified, I probaby wouldn't have bid on it because the seller's pics almost make it look polished. Since it is in an NGC holder & graded MS66, I was hoping it had some PL qualities to it

1904oobvebay-horz.jpg

Now it does have some semi prooflike qualities, but not nearly as dramatic in hand as the seller's photos led me to believe or should I say wanted to believe. Even though I may have paid a tad bit more than I usually would on a common date (mostly because I was hoping for that black & white DMPL or PL appearance) , it's a nice coin and I'm satisfied with it

001-horz2.jpg