• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1962 mint set quarter with very deep copper toning

5 posts in this topic

A 1962 mint set has the internal compartments unsealed and the half dollar has some medium toning but I have a question about the quarter that is obv & rev toned a very deep even orange copper color. Very attractive.

Have not seen anything this evenly toned ( not looked at coins very long).

Does this have some special value?

I have personally seen a lot of these at coin shows. It happens a lot when the coins are not stored properly. The plastic that is meant to hold the coins apart loses it's seal in heat (I'm guessing) and when the coins come into contact with one another they can tone wildly. I have a half dollar that is completely red, quarters that are green, but the best are usually the nickels of which I have a few, the most impressive is a deep purple nickel that is graded by ngc as 68 cameo. I thought it would come back ultra but maybe the purple is keeping it from that designation. Quite common, but if you find the right person who likes the color you can get a little extra. What you really need are two people who love it and then you will have a coin that will bring some extra bucks, but you won't be getting rich or breaking anyone's wallets sad to say.

Thanks Coindude. The input is appreciated. That's exactly what happened with the internal seals. Since the quarter is pretty nice looking I'll probably take it out and put it in a card.

Probably card the other proofs in this set to keep them nice.They are slightly darker than most sets.

Skeeter

You actually see this a LOT in Uncirculated and Mint sets. I've come across several coins with crazy toning. It isn't limited to Unc and mint sets either, improperly storing coins in the wrong material (be it an envelope, bad plastic, what-have-you) can cause toning. Some toning is really desired, it is all about finding the right buyer. Also you may think of getting it graded professionally with it being a Mint coin. Those can definitely fetch more (toned) than circulated or even uncirculated coins (since they can have bag marks). Store it properly and keep it for a while!