• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crash course on coin photography? anyone? please?

13 posts in this topic

So I realized, quite quickly, I can not photograph a coin and get a decent picture. It's either blurry, or a the lights/flash block half the coin out. Any tips or places I can do some reading up?

I have a very high end camera and very low end skill set.

You can start by turning off the flash and use lights that you can position at an angle so the light doesn't bounce back into the lens.

Chris

1. SLr camera with macro lens

2. Copy stand

3. 2-3 lights

Mount camera with lens in stand. Set camera to aperature priority. Put lights at 10 and 2 o clock. Focus on coin. Take picture.

Play around, you'll get it.

1. SLr camera with macro lens

2. Copy stand

3. 2-3 lights

Mount camera with lens in stand. Set camera to aperature priority. Put lights at 10 and 2 o clock. Focus on coin. Take picture.

Play around, you'll get it.

If only it were that easy! lol

Start with Mark's book, then depending how much you want to capture the beauty of coins will correlate with the time you need and the equipment. There is really no such thing as a 'crash course'. Like TomB says '1000s of photos, that is a minimum.....

Best, HT

If you want to see a 45-minute presentation on how to take decent pictures with cheap equipment (the lessons apply to expensive equipment as well), I might have a couple DVDs left of the presentation I gave at FUN a couple years ago on this topic.

If you want to see a 45-minute presentation on how to take decent pictures with cheap equipment (the lessons apply to expensive equipment as well), I might have a couple DVDs left of the presentation I gave at FUN a couple years ago on this topic.

That would be some youtube vids i would like to see, (or buy a dvd)