• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

El Cazador Shipwreck Coins

7 posts in this topic

Considering the history behind these specific treasure finds, you would think they would be more popular with the American people.

If these coins are slabbed and graded by NGC why cant they be valued in the collection manager, when listing?

Any other Cazador collectors out there?

Thoughts?

Many people (myself included) consider these coins to be "ruined" by the salt water effect. Do they have character? -- Sure they do....just not my cup of tea.

They were slabbed in huge quantities -- they are readily available, over-hyped, and over-priced in most of the listings I see. Just search eBay for "NGC Cazador" and you will find more than 100 listings ranging in price from around $60 to $650, and most are highly unattractive corroded pieces.

Just my opinion, but I'd much rather have one nicely preserved 8 Reales than a dozen of these pitted eaten away ones. To each his/her own.

Many people (myself included) consider these coins to be "ruined" by the salt water effect. Do they have character? -- Sure they do....just not my cup of tea.

They were slabbed in huge quantities -- they are readily available, over-hyped, and over-priced in most of the listings I see. Just search eBay for "NGC Cazador" and you will find more than 100 listings ranging in price from around $60 to $650, and most are highly unattractive corroded pieces.

Just my opinion, but I'd much rather have one nicely preserved 8 Reales than a dozen of these pitted eaten away ones. To each his/her own.

I agree. And I have a nice old ANACS set in a custom wood box.

The 8R should be in every collector's set. It was our first silver dollar, legal until the civil war. The world's monetary standard. 8 bits (ahead of its time).

Lance.

I agree. The salt water damage is a downer. Yes, ebay(s) soaring prices for some ugly ones can be ridiculous; goes without saying "buyer be aware".

In December of 2008 I was sent 5 (8 reales) of the coins in the wooden box....By accident. I assumed it was a mistake on the company's end and that they didn't hear my decline to the $600.00 selling offered for the 5 piece coin set priced at $1299.00

This all happened due to a previous mail order that was incorrect weeks prior I had with the company. After checking my bank statement and confirmed...I ended up paying a total of 69.00 and some odd cents for the 5 Piece set (I never initially ordered), along with the correct items from the original previous order the company had messed up.

Is it a grade or a details grade? A sea salvage silver coin should probably never receive anything other than a detail grade. Salt water is not kind to silver.