• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bust Half Fever for the Holidays

6 posts in this topic

Hope everyone is doing well this holiday season.

I was hoping to share a little bit of my Bust Half Dollar fever with the forum. In preparation for the NGC registry annual awards, many new photographs and detailed descriptions have been added to my Capped Half Dollar set listings. I had free time over the holidays, and I had been asked by several posters and other collectors on the forum to add detailed photographs. I've tried to structure the set not just with photographs, but also detailed provenance descriptions and Redbook and die variety information to provide an educational program for collectors not very familiar with the series.

I hope you'all enjoy it and that you consider the series. With 450 die marriages to discover, almost 100 redbook varieties and moderate cost for great collectible VF to XF specimens, collectors of all ranks can participate. Perhaps this will spark a person or two to look at these early struck by screw press federal mint products. There are wonderful clubs available to beginners and to serious students of the series. The first is the John Reich Collector Society (all levels from beginner to advanced and covers all early federal silver and gold coins). The second is the Bust Half Nut Club (advanced club specific to Early American Half Dollars from 1794 to 1836, collected by Overton varities [die marriages]. The BHNC membership requires demonstrated expertise and achievement in the series (need to demonstrate attribution skills and obtain either 30 pre-trub half dollar marriages or 100 total die marriages).

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=39434

Thanks everybody, I hope this can be used to allow other to begin to enjoy this very early American coins series. Since no dollars were coined between 1804 and 1835. Bust Half Dollars actually were kept as silver bullion in bank vaults in the new Republic. Hence, many thousands of examples still exist today.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=144532&Ranking=all

The date set won one of the five best presented sets! Thanks to everyone for encouraging me to commit to more posting information and photographs.

Also Thanks NGC Judges, not sure I deserve it, but I do appreciate it!