• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE REPLACEMENTS ARE COMING! posted by Wissahickon Collection

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What Took You So Long?

I completed my set of Barber Quarters on January 18, 2007, and wrote a journal entry about it. In June, 2008, I sold my 1915-S MS-63 NGC quarter. It was a lustrous, well-struck, white coin with light gold tint. So why sell it, you ask? The coin had a small spot on the obverse that just bothered me. Whenever I viewed the coin, my eye always focused on the spot. So, I sold it and began looking for a replacement.

15-S is not a rare date, so I thought, this should be a fairly short search- FATAL WORDS! After a couple of years searching in vein, I asked a couple of dealers to join the search party. When I say searching in vein, I do not mean combing through unacceptable candidates. NO INDEED- I did not spot a single uncirculated example!!!

What is taking so long?

Last week, while reading the NGC Chat Boards, I came accross a thread in which a collector was praising a dealer for providing a needed coin. The name sounded vaguely familiar, but I had no knowledge of the dealer. I went to his web site, and noticed he had one Barber Quarter in stock. I clicked on it, and there it was- a nice 1915-S MS-64 PCGS.

YIPPEE!!!

It was Thanksgiving eve, and I was on my way out the door to do some errands, so I did not call. But I repeatedly looked at the coin Wednesday night and all day Thursday. Finally, Friday morning arrived, and I called: Yes, it is still available. The coin description was good, and we confirmed payment and shipping terms.

THE REPLACEMENT IS COMING! It is about time; what took so long?

See more journals by Wissahickon Collection