• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anglo-Saxon penny: a newp from June, 2012

1 post in this topic

I acquired this in June, but had never posted it here. This is S-919, minted in Mercian-occupied East Anglia. The monarch is Coenwulf, who ruled Mercia from 796-821. After the decline of Northumbria, and before its conquest by the Danish Vikings, Mercia was pre-eminent among the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. Mercian coinage from East Anglia are known for its crude workmanship, of which this piece is a happy exception.

Portrait pieces of the early Anglo-Saxon lords (and a lady!) are generally rare and expensive. (Burgred of Mercia is the lone exception!) Actually, even the non-portrait pieces are rare and expensive.

This present piece is fairly well-made, with good detail. It's also been well-preserved, of good metal, and with medium even gray toning. It was graded almost EF by the seller, which seems fair to me. For the series, I consider this a trophy coin.

* The image was done by TomB, our esteemed colleague from the light-side.

1024.jpg