• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It first appeared to be a wartime penny??? by Panda Man

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What did they do???

Hi All,

I have been going through a bag of 5,000 wheats. I came across an interesting penny which at first glance I thought it was a war time peeny (1943). Well I glanced at the date and saw 1957..?? Then I looked at the rim of the coin and that part looked as it should. I will post a pick and hopefully someone will have a funny answer for me, like they painted it or maybe it was struck with zinc?? I do not know....

12454.JPG

See more journals by Panda Man

Looks like someone electroplated it with some other metal possibly nickel.

My grandfather used to plate things in his collection. He gold plated a nickel and it looked really nice.

The reason I think it is plated is because the rim has worn down to the base metal and also on lincoln's face it is also rubbing off.

Just my 2 cents.

I ran across one that was also painted....most of the paint had rubbed off. It was a 1944....boy do I wish it was....well, you know!!

Bud