• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYS American Revolution Bicent Medal? Info? Could it be holdered?

9 posts in this topic

My Dad passed a few weeks back and I am starting to go through all the coins and paper money he left behind. One of the more interesting boxes I have gone through so far had a huge bag of Bicentennial items in it. One bag in this box had a a number of medals in it. one is gold (Hihoaudio is going to photograph for me, he's way better at it than I am, photos coming soon) There were some silver and some bronze medals and this large Silver medal. This thing is huge! (I know.... that's what she said) It tips the scale at just around 5 ounces. I tried searching on the internet and could find no information on this medal other than it was minted by something called the Medallic Art. Company. Would this kind of thing show up in a book some place? How many where minted? Who issued them? What was the cost when issued etc.... I imagine the value to be what ever melt is, but since it belonged to my father this is one of the items I would hold on to and pass down to my kids. Another question I have is could this kind of thing be sent in for grading and holdering. I would like to make sure it is preserved and protected hence the interest in getting it slabbed. The other question is will I destroy the value of it by removing it from the packaging? Comments?

132214.jpg.c3b433c2484b213ac5efd30462dd3358.jpg

The medal seems much more interesting in its original container than some inert piece of plastic that sucks the character and meaning out of any coin or medal.

Medallic Art Co is in business and you should be able to locate them on the web. If you contact them, ask for Mr. Johnson – he knows everything about the company’s past.

First, let me extend to you my sympathy for the loss of your father.

That is a beautiful medal, and I agree with Roger that it might be better to leave it in the original packaging.

However, if the sentimental value is more important to you than the collector value, you might want to post it on the "Ask NGC" forum to see if they would slab it. If so, I would keep the packaging, though. It appears to be about 70mm, and NGC does have a series of oversized holders that would accommodate it.

Chris

Thanks for the comments.... RWB, I did find the web site and I will email them for some info. Thanks again! And thank you for the kind words about my Dad, think there will be a obit in November or December The Numismatist magazine, he was a contributor to them in the past and they asked for a photo and a small bio. Some of the coins he left are very very interesting over the next few months I will pull some out and share them here, I have some questions about a few of the Bust 50 cent pieces that I find fascinating. I already sent in a few things for grading will share those too.

Have a great day

Jim

Here are the photos I took of the gold medal:

Bi-Gold-1.jpg

Bi-Gold-2.jpg

Gold_Medal_Edge_Comp.jpg

The medal weighs 21.36 grams with a diameter of 38mm.

This link shows the silver and brass versions but not the gold:

http://numismatics.org/search/results?q=department_facet:%22Medal%22%20AND%20artist_facet:%22Giannicchi,%20Americo%22

The printed ordering information that came with the medals claims that only 1000 were minted in gold and that the first 250 were given to officials from the original 13 states. As this is #251 it is apparently the first one sold to the general public.

Any additional info would be appreciated, and if anyone owns the Johnson reference could you please look up the gold version. Thanks!

Thanks for the photos HiHo! You did a great job. As I finished going through this one box I found a paper advertisement in the bottom of the box. It sure does clear up some of the questions I have about these medals. I will attache the 4 scans for those that might be interested. I would love to find out what that Johnson number is and what book this thing is listed in and what it might say....

Thanks!

Have a great day

Jim

132538.jpg.1dfe45a9588bfdc0926c25e556263f61.jpg

132539.jpg.860a615249400d8208363cc687318487.jpg

132540.jpg.95af317b189fbe1403ff6a39a4054c1c.jpg

132542.jpg.753daec3f3aa3a2e0e4623b4816bc3f3.jpg

I would love to find out what that Johnson number is and what book this thing is listed in and what it might say....

Thanks!

Have a great day

Jim

I contacted a representative of MACO to obtain contact information for Mr. Johnson, and was told they have no record available.

Chris