• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Coin Show Today!

1 post in this topic

Ebay is great, but there's nothing like talking coins during a show.

Stories are everywhere and it's fun sometimes to listen to the "tall" tales being told. I think it's just a facet of the hobby to make our coin exploits bigger, better and bolder than the other guy. Talking coins with coin guys and gals is a fun and very relaxing activity. I enjoy perusing the hunderds of thousands of listings on the internet, but it's just not quite the same as talking coins, looking at them and agnozing over my purchases.

I didn't buy much today, but the fun was immeasurable. I did buy a couple of coins for my Dansco 7070 Type set album - I'm about 35% complete on this one and really save this one as a fun interlude at coin shows. I find that once I've moved over to certified coins, they are hard to buy at shows, as I either can't find what I want or the price just isn't right.

I'll part with one interesting conversation I overheard today between a dealer and a customer. The customer asked why he didn't have more PCGS coins. The dealer answered that he was an authorized dealer for both and his customers wanted NGC over PCGS slabs and that he felt NGC slabs garnered a premium. I don't see the premium he was talking about, but with 3 brick and mortar stores in my general vacinity I would tend to trust his judgement. I see different results, but perhaps here in SC there is a price inversion and preference toward NGC. I know I've had that preference for quite some time.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

Todd

Today's Picture - 1938 D Jefferson Nickel - bought it for the 7070 album, but it's so nice that I might submit this one for grading...

12421.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson