• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feeding the coin addiction when money is tight posted by Yankeejose

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Trying to come up with some coin fun during extended downtime so back to the basics

I had shoulder surgery last Thursday and find myself recouping at home while my wife is at work. I can do a little work at home but typing with one hand is very tedious. Just typing this is taking forever. So I find myself in a rare opportunity, home alone to spread out my raw coins. I have to keep myself off of EBay as much as possible lest I spend money I can't afford to spend. At this point I can only estimate what my 20% of all the surgery costs will be. If you hear sobbing in the background, it is me thinking about all the great coins I could have bought with that 20%.

But back to the topic of having some coin fun, my wife calls it playing coins- she says, you playing coins again- you have been playing coins all day, etc. I did think ahead and checked out some coin books at the library to fill some time. I also bought a couple each of 1909-40 penny and 1938-62 nickel Whitman folders. I have dozens of tubes of pennies and about 15 rolls of nickels. This is a good time to fill up lower grade books and look for varieties and errors. There is not much of a market for these partially filled books, so the reward will be more just for the fun of filling some folders with free time I would not normally have available.

The more rewarding task will be filling an 1800 to current type set album. It took some searching to find a new Dansco 7070 type set album. It looks like they don't make these anymore so most coin supply dealers do not have any in stock. I have been gradually picking up raw type coins so I may be able to have it almost completely filled. Now that will be very satisfying when it is full.

Anybody else have any low cost ways to feed their coin addiction?

I hope that all of our fellow members on the East coast came through the storm ok! Dave

See more journals by Yankeejose

Hey Dave, I feel your pain. I too have hospital bills to pay and I just laid down some money on Ebay so I can fulfill my 2012 Silver Proof Set. I had a bone marrow transplant in August and now that I am out I find the need to buy coins…they make me happy. You are right about staying away from Ebay. But it is better to get a 70 graded coins from Ebay then to submit my 2012 Silver Proof Set for grading and chance getting a 69 out of them. But I did submit 5 2010 ATB 5 ounce to NGC and used my free 5 which brought down the cost. Here's hoping for 70's.

Happy Collecting,

Ed

best_category2011.gif

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Dave,

Good luck on filling that 7070 album. For myself I work construction and sometimes there is no good work for months. When I fall behind on cash I search raw coins from rolls, mint sets , and proof sets. Once things pick up I send the best ones into NGC for grading and then do allot of trading for the coins I want with all the extras I have left over. I was in such a slump in Sept. and Oct. so I paid $50 extra for 50 rolls of state quarters. I did find a little over 100 nice ones and spent the rest of them on bills. My investment is $75 and that kept me busy for two weeks. I still need to do another run through them and pick the best 2 or 3 of each for NGC but I am working 6 days a week and have no time. Construction work is feast or famine I say and looks like Christmas is going to be good this year.

Later---Rick

Dave

I know that typing is not what you want to do, but when I'm not buying new coins I'm writing descriptions and upgrading photographs. Additionally, I often enjoy perusing other collectors sets here at Collectors Society. My wife has had some health issues of lately and I know where you're coming from with health care bills and tight coin budgets. I've had to slow down a bit also. Like you, I have a 7070 set that I am working on, however it is a certified set that is listed on my Collectors Society home page. Finally, I hope that you get well soon and that you regain full use of your shoulder. All the best.

Gary

Thanks guys! The days of having insurance cover almost 100% of medical cost are long gone for most of us- a sign of the times I guess.

Ed- I hope you are feeling better now, I have heard that procedure takes a lot of a person. Fingers crossed for 70s!

Rick- glad to hear your business has picked up. You are in a tough line of work; it has to be tough making a budget. You must be cross-eyed from looking at all those rolls of coins. You must see quarters in your sleep!

Gary- best wishes for your wife! I could only dream of having a certified type set- I have drooled over your set before. I would love to have some certified gold type coins. Something I could have bought with that 20%.

My wife was nice enough to take me to the coin store. I made the final payment on an NGC 1921 Peace dollar I had on layaway. It’s only XF45 but it filled a hole for me. I course I had to go to some her stores too but it was nice to get out and see the guys at the store.

Stay healthy and best of luck on your collecting endeavors!