• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Values from TPG's

6 posts in this topic

From a market standpoint which coins see better prices from NGC? and which from PCGS? I was just on another thread and Yonico made a comment about Franklin halves that got me wondering.

Hey George,

I didn't go into much detail in the other post cause it was off-topic (kinda). Let me explain what I was saying, and why:

(info taken from NGC/PCGS websites, and not my opinion)

- NGC are more strict with giving the FBL designation to Franklin halves, and that's a FACT. while PCGS define FBL as the bell has the bottom set of lines continuous and uninterrupted, NGC says BOTH sets of lines have to be full to grant that designation.

And so many coins that NGC doesn't attribute as FBL, PCGS will.

It is the same story with FS Jefferson Nickels.

While NGC has a separate designation for a coin with 5 Full Steps and one with 6 Full Steps, PCGS will grant a general FS designation to all coins that display 5 or more full steps.

(again stirring away from the topic in question, one must wonder how NGC regards this issue when giving score to PCGS FS coins on their registry, but that's for a separate thread (that I intend to start) ).

The difference can be seen on coin census on the NGC and PCGS websites.

Franklins that are non-existent in FBL (or are very low pop) by NGC, sometimes grade by the dozens by pcgs with the full bell lines (and not because pcgs grades more coins, I'm talking percentage of total coins graded). On NGC graded nickels, there's a HUGE price

Difference between 5FS and 6FS on some dates, while their pcgs parallels are simply called "FS", wether they display 5 or 6 steps.

Now to my own opinion:

While everything above I know for a fact, my opinion is that NGC are a little more loose with the technical grades, the + grade, and has a "star" grade that PCGS doesn't. So when I send in a coin (because I want it to Bring in the highest return $ possible) I consider these points:

- if it's DEFINITELY a FBL/FS - I'd send it to NGC.

Their FBL/FS coins are more marketable Because they're very strict with these, plus the numerical grade (IMO) will be as high as PCGS's, or higher, so that's a win-win.

- if it's DEFINITELY NOT a FBL/FS - PCGS coins are maybe a little more easy to sell, but NGC might get you one grade up (or a star, if the coin displays high eye-appeal).

Either one will work for me. I'd have to decide depending on the individual coin I'm sending.

If it's MAYBE FBL/FS - send to PCGS. it is a fact that FBL/FS coins are very marketable, and the added designation adds value to the coin.

Unless the coin is attractively toned and I'd go for the star from NGC, I'd send it to PCGS in hope of getting the FBL/FS designation.

That's to explain what I was saying before.

So what NGC coins do better at auctions than PCGS?

I'd have to say Full Bell Line Franklins, Full Steps Jeffersons, FB/FT mercury/Roosevelt dimes, and toned coins with a star.

All coins with very low pop, very rare, and with value of $10k+ seem to bring more money in a pcgs holder for some reason (this is just an observation, not a fact).

Ok now let me go start a post about the registry score system :)

High end coins usually stand on their own two feet. Crappy looking coins will be a tougher sell. Sweet looking toners and coins that are stunning move faster. Same could be said for any coin / grade, but when spending 200K your coin better have some pop to it or else it will be slow.