• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lot Viewing Shake-up posted by Electric Peak Collection

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Priorities change...

After buying and planting a new Canadian Red Chokecherry tree today, I drove in to downtown Baltimore for the Stack's-Bowers auction lot viewing this afternoon. As I had written last time, one coin in particular was already my top priority, based on the on-line information. Several other coins were on my list of alternates.

What a difference seeing coins in-hand can make! That top priority coin is a pretty good coin. But close scrutiny revealed some mildly annoying features. Conversely, one of the alternates jumped out as notably nicer than the photos suggested. I now have a new top priority for the auction...

So the lesson I and others have given before is: If you are thinking of spending a significant amount of money on a coin, then if at all possible get a good look at it, 'up close and personal'.

The photos provided by the big auction companies are generally pretty good, but they simply cannot tell you everything about a coin. For example, the lighting may serve to hide or to exaggerate a scratch. And sometimes undesirable scratches are hard to distinguish from acceptable die lines. In-hand inspection allows you to make your own complete evaluation.

As usual, I'll write about my experiences at the show. Happy hunting!

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection

Your journal is full of truth. The camera never really shows the truth of a coin and some issues are hidden with different lighting. Good luck on that swell looking alternate choice you found!!

Rick

I agree. Pictures hide lots of imperfections... It's hard to buy top grade coins via pictures only. I recently bought a couple of FS jefferson nickels on Ebay, on a whim, as the pics looked good. When they arrived neither was a FS - they were close in some regards, but overall they wouldn't make the grade. I didn't pay much for them, so it was just one more learning experience. Need plenty of photos, conversation and then that isn't like holding the coin.