• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abraded die varieties question.

16 posts in this topic

If one were to assemble an abraded die variety type set, what would it include. Obviously, the three leg Buffalo, the 22 plain Lincoln, the no AW Walker, the no FG Kennedys, perhaps the peg leg Ike. Are there any popular coins I've omitted?

Bruce, the abraded die varieties are coins missing design elements as a result of over-polished dies. As I understand it, by definition that excludes coins missing design elements as a result of a clogged or fatigued die.

In the Kennedy series, Coneca recognizes the 66 and 82-P no FG coins as legitimate varieties. The missing designer initials can be attributed to overpolished dies. Breen, on the other hand, noted and assigned numbers to the 66, 72-D, 82-P, 82-D, and 83-P coins. My guess is that a good number of the coins Breen recognized were from the latter group. I'm curious which will be included in the new Cherrypickers. ANACS attributes Breen, and NGC has chosen F/S. The current Cherrypickers includes only the 66.

Tom, are the partial drapery coins the result of an unrepaired clash, or over-zealous die polishing? I'm fairly ignorant with regard to the series.

No Drapery Seated coinage.

I believe the lack of drapery was in the original design, not just missing due to die lapping.

I will add Two-Feather Buffalo Nickels to the list though, before Hoot shows up with his new Lange book under his arm. smirk.gif

Great answer RGT! laugh.gif

I'd add the 1913 3-1/2 legged buff, the 1917 3-1/2 legged (and isn't there a newly discovered '17-S?), the 1927 3-1/2 legged, and the 1936-D 3-1/2 legged. The first and the last of those are of rising significance in the series.

Hoot

There are later date Seated Liberty Halves (than the 1839 No Drapery original) with the drapery polished or abraided off the design (both partially and fully).

You are correct, RGT. What I should have written was specifically the 1838 No Drapery or Partial Drapery dimes that were a result of a die clash that was subsequently subjected to regrinding and repolishing. There are also some later dates, I believe, with some of the drapery missing.

I've heard of the Partial Drapery Half Dimes that were a result of clashed dies. I didn't know about any later dates with part of the drapery missing. I'll have to check my copy of Blythe's book. It seems it's a sad case of having bought the book but not having read it. I have read bits of it but mostly use it as a reference. Unfortunately I don't find it to be very complete, especially for a "Complete Guide". Maybe I need to buy the Valentine book.

I don't have either book, so you are well ahead of me. My recollection of this, and it was apparently wrong or incomplete, came from Breen.