• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reholdering imperial Roman coins from ANACS to NGC?

1 post in this topic

Hi.

I recently purchased 2 imperial roman denarii which were in ANACS slabs. I am very pleased with the coins. If I were to ever resell these coins (and I have no intention to unless in economic distress), would it be better to be in NGC holders? These are not high grade coins (Hadrian F12 and Commodus XF45), but I do like NGC's strike/surface designation as well as the descriptions of the obverse and reverse and all my other Roman coins are in NGC slabs.

Based on other NGC coins I have, I would guess the Hadrian denarii would rate: strike 3/5, surface 3/5 and the Commodus denarii the same (maybe a 4/5 on strike: Commodus's profile is quite sharp, but some of the lettering is soft/worn away after the name) Unfortunately I have no camera that will take any worthwhile photos to show anyone!

Rumor has it that many ancients collectors do not care for slabbing, but for me it is a way to protect the coin and valididate authenticity.

So, is it worth getting the coins reslabbed to NGC?

Thanks for any comments