• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Turnaround

8 posts in this topic

How Numismatics became another faded interest.

Hi All,

Been a while since I posed anything so I thought I would weigh-in with a few thoughts and unburden in the process.

I have deleted about half my registry sets because I intend to eventually sell the coins and i didn't want to even slightly tempt myself to change my mind. I put aside 20 very nice coins for my Daughter Hana and I have decided to keep my Mercury Dimes, my Walking Liberty Halves, and My Peace Dollars. Will also be keeping my custom sets intact. Everything else will go go go, or is already gone gone gone.

The reasons are complex but it basically amounts to new priorities and a renewed focus on my retirement in 5 years. My wife and I have decided to buy a home sometime soon in our targeted community, Bethel Park PA. Why Bethel Park? I have a 7 year old daughter and we are very interested in getting her into a good solid school system before she enters Middle School. We also want to get her away from a part of Southern California that we feel is turning from a nice middle class community to a poor community. The school district where we live is substandard even by California's general mediocre standard. Finally, I just happen to Love the Pittsburgh PA area.

Still love the Hobby and will still continue to pursue Peace Dollars, and keep my Sacs and 21st Century set current. These will also eventually go to Hana but they are my toys for now.

Hope you are all doing well. Fall is my favorite time of the year.

Later,

Malcolm

12355.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

Keep in touch Malcolm, you have been a good friend. Let us know how that move goes, I sense with you that it is the right thing to do. Coins are fun, but they're just that and don't rise to the higher issues of life. One thing that keeps me interested is when I merge my coins into life and not the other way around. When I can no longer do that is when my coins will be pushed aside. I wish all the best for you, your wife, and Hanna. God Bless!

Gary

BTW, I root for the Steelers whenever they're not playing the Packers! Oh, and nice Stang!

Good luck in your re-location.

I have lived my entire life in CA and have witnessed first hand its gradual deterioration in terms of quality of life. It continues on the path to self-destruction. If not for family, friends and a job here, I might be in the U-Haul right behind you. :D

Please disclose the community you are moving out of so that we will not make the mistake of moving there.

Gary and Guys,

I absolutely plan on staying close to this board but will probably lurk rather than frequently post. It is currently sweltering here in lovely Vista CA and it reminds me that the only drawback to the move back East is going to be the weather. But, everything else is great including 150K homes with large yards, porches, finished basements, green grass, and the Stillers..

I often wish this Board was actually a small town and we all gathered together once every couple of weeks or so to grill brats, swap stories, and generally make a nuisance of ourselves. But this Board is the next best thing.

Later,

Malcolm

Malcolm-Sorry to hear your interest is waning- but if you don't have that hunger anymore you probably would not make the time for the due diligence that this hobby requires. As a lifelong midwesterner we are looking to do the opposite- head west out of the cold! Best of luck in your move!