• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Penny Exonumia Galore!

11 posts in this topic

I'm writing an article on "Penny Exonumia" and had Todd photograph several pieces from my collection, so I thought I'd "preview" some of these unique and interesting pieces here. Aren't they CUTE!!

1900 Watch Fob

8.jpg

Working padlock made from 1935 Lincoln cent

3.jpg

WWII V-Day Victory pin made from a Lincoln cent - these types of WWII souvenirs are referred to as "trench art"

5.jpg

Tiny teapots made from Indian cents - these were made by inmates from a Midwest prison in the 1930's-1940's. Notice the different shapes in the teapot as well as the handle (most likely made by different inmates)

2.jpg

9.jpg

15.jpg

Tiny teapots made from Lincoln cents

15.jpg

12.jpg

17.jpg

Teapot made from a Canadian cent (notice there is no "United States..." underneath "One Cent")

16.jpg

Tiny mug made from a Lincoln cent

13.jpg

Teapot (approx. 2" high) made with various British copper coins, including the handle, with removable lid

1.jpg

Tea kettle made from 1943 Australian half penny

14.jpg

Spoon made from 1901 British farthing and penny, including the stem

2.jpg

1901 Indian cent "Frying Pan" Stick Pin encasement (rare!)

43.jpg

1901 Indian cent "Frying Pan" encasement

42.jpg

1908 Indian cent in a Teddy Bear encasement

49.jpg

1902 Indian cent Pocket Mirror

4.jpg

1908 Indian cent in oval Pocket Mirror

52.jpg

1928 Lincoln cent Pocket Mirror

41.jpg

1901 Pan Am Expo Elongated Indian cent

26.jpg

1907 Jamestown Expo Elongated Indian cent

27.jpg

1909 Hudson-Fulton Elongated Lincoln cent

3.jpg

1864-L Engrailed edge Indian cent

14.jpg

1869 Reeded edge Indian cent

42.jpg

1852 Large cent "Pie Cutter"

15.jpg

1892 Indian cent "Gear" (no hole)

16.jpg

Any comments and/or additional information on these pieces for my article are certainly welcome!

very creative...

I'm writing an article on "Penny Exonumia" and had Todd photograph several pieces from my collection, so I thought I'd "preview" some of these unique and interesting pieces here. Aren't they CUTE!!

1901 Watch Fob

8.jpg

Working padlock made from 1935 Lincoln cent

3.jpg

WWII V-Day Victory pin made from a Lincoln cent - these types of WWII souvenirs are referred to as "trench art"

5.jpg

Tiny teapots made from Indian cents - these were made by inmates from a Midwest prison in the 1930's-1940's. Notice the different shapes in the teapot as well as the handle (most likely made by different inmates)

2.jpg

9.jpg

15.jpg

Tiny teapots made from Lincoln cents

15.jpg

12.jpg

17.jpg

Teapot made from a Canadian cent (notice there is no "United States..." underneath "One Cent")

16.jpg

Tiny mug made from a Lincoln cent

13.jpg

Teapot (approx. 2" high) made with various British copper coins, including the handle, with removable lid

1.jpg

Tea kettle made from 1943 Australian half penny

14.jpg

Spoon made from 1901 British farthing and penny, including the stem

2.jpg

1901 Indian cent "Frying Pan" Stick Pin encasement (rare!)

43.jpg

1901 Indian cent "Frying Pan" encasement

42.jpg

1908 Indian cent in a Teddy Bear encasement

49.jpg

1902 Indian cent Pocket Mirror

4.jpg

1908 Indian cent in oval Pocket Mirror

52.jpg

1928 Lincoln cent Pocket Mirror

41.jpg

1901 Pan Am Expo Elongated Indian cent

26.jpg

1907 Jamestown Expo Elongated Indian cent

27.jpg

1909 Hudson-Fulton Elongated Lincoln cent

3.jpg

1864-L Engrailed edge Indian cent

14.jpg

1869 Reeded edge Indian cent

42.jpg

1852 Large cent "Pie Cutter"

15.jpg

1892 Indian cent "Gear" (no hole)

16.jpg

Any comments and/or additional information on these pieces for my article are certainly welcome!

Thank you everyone! Here's a little more info about the teapots:

According to an article that appeared a few years ago in the Numismatist, "n the mid-1930’s, inmates at Massachusetts’ Bridgewater State Prison spent their free time using spoons to shape copper cents into cups, pans and teapots. . . . These miniatures carry a tale as unusual as the teapots are charming. Guards spirited the creations out of the prison and sold them for 10 to 25 cents each. According to ANA Executive Director Emeritus Ed Rochette, exchanges regularly took place at his uncle’s Bridge Diner on Pope’s Island, Massachusettes."

They can cost a lot depending on their rarity. The watch fob is probably the most rare of the pieces above, but the padlock is also very difficult to find.

The little teapots usually go for $25 to $100 depending on whether they are an Indian cent or Lincoln, if the patina is original, whether the lid is removable, and the detail of the design (spout, handle).

The encasements can be pricey depending on the rarity and condition of the encasement, and the condition of the coin inside. Same with the pocket mirrors.