• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1915 Buffalo Toned

9 posts in this topic

This one grades MSwow

Me likey

I had an MS64 that didn't have that much detail. The face area and the head of the buffalo are very defined, and that wood grain toning is very appealing to my taste. Can't really tell how much luster is there, but looks like it doesnt lack any in this department. All that on a nice early date adds up to a very very nice coin.

I'm going to say that it was somewhat weakly struck and that it's an MS65. If in hand it's different than these pictures suggest I could see it in an AU grade, PUP's at the tail and shoulder of the buffalo suggesting either a hint of wear or weakly struck details, though I think it's the latter.

I really like the color, if you're ready to part with it let me know.

NGC's grading guide says the following about Buffalo Nickels:

" Copper-nickel also is subject to problems of improper alloying. These two metals do not always blend completely, and streaks of concentrated copper may become visible as the metal tones. This also can detract from a Buffalo nickel's eye appeal and lower its grade"

If this is, in fact, an alloying "problem"......it's a problem I'd like to have!

I'm going to assume it's an alloying problem, in the coin, with attractive toning, for my grade guess...MS65* - In hand, the grade of a coin like this could change dramatically.

I like the look of the coin.

My guess would be MS64 and naturally (though somewhat unusually) toned.

There look to be a few flat spots on the reverse, which, depending upon how they look in hand, might cause me to grade the coin differently.

Again a series I only own a few toned coins in. I appreciate the feedback. I agree it is some where between AU58 and MS64. The toning gives it some wow but the luster is not the strongest. For $50 this is by far one of my favorite coins I own and will not be parting with any time soon.