• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1847 Seater is strange, need some opinions

41 posts in this topic

A little off topic, but this thread brought back fond memories of an 1847 Seated Dollar I bought raw a few years ago from a St. Louis dealer for around $450. It had been lightly cleaned (most raw seated dollars that riddle dealer's cases are messed with). I sent it into NGC and received this:

SeatedDollarSlabPics030.jpg

Certainly disappointing, but not unexpected. Later, via my friend Mr. Feldini, I submitted it to PCGS with this outcome:

SeatedDollarSlabPics023.jpg

I was ecstatic and subsequently sold the coin for a nice profit. This is one of my rare (and lucky) success stories in selling purchasing mistakes I've made. It was all part of my tuition.

Despite my story above, if you can return the coin and get your money back, please do so and invest your money into a better example.

Greetings collectors.

I acquired this 1847 Seated Liberty Dollar from a trustworthy dealer and I attempted to trade it today. The dealer I tried trading with is someone I put alot of trust in. He said the coin looks suspicious due to the high relief near the top denticles. It looks from far that it was struck slightly off center and therefore left a high relief. It also has some strange abrasion at right of the 7 in the date. Pictures below. The other specs are that it is non magnetic weighs in appropriatly at 26.7grams (my scale is only single digit) and is 38mm in diameter. So everything tells me it is real. Now a last ooly to ponder. If you utilize the coin explorer on NGC and pull up the mint state 1847 seater it shows some sort of fracture to the right at 7 and the high relief on the rim from about 1000-0200 relative. Anyway, please look at these pictures and tell me if this all makes sense or if I have been dooped. I paid good money even with the minor flaw at right of the seven, but nothing really screams fake to me. Especially with all the research online even the good fakes seem more obvious. Anyways Thanks!

in the last photo on the base far right above and to the right of the 7 in the date are raised lumps

also there are these raised lumps on many parts of the coin

now i cant CANT evaulate the coin unless i have it in hand sight seen but it appears APPEARS to be a harshly cleaned polished coin which is a highly suspecious WITH ALL THOSE RAISED LUMPS SO TO ME AT THIS POINT IN TIME A POSSIBLE not genuine AND HARSHLY CLEANED TO HIDE the evidence

could i be wrong with my opinion off of photos?? OF COURSE

it would be interesting to see what ngc sayz if you send it to them

Well folks, I am submitting it for grading. Will see what the outcome is in a few weeks. Thank you everyone for the good information.

Sounds like a waste of money, unless you're without a knowledgeable dealer or collector friend who can look at it for you. I expect that it will be deemed genuine along with either cleaned or polished.

$500 is about what problem free PCGS or NGC XF40s have sold for this year at Heritage. One sold for $800, but I haven't looked closely enough to decide if the CAC sticker is the only reason. I see no reason to keep this coin. You'll be out the submission fee and postage to get it graded, and NGC will most likely say it's polished. If you want a nice 1847 Seated dollar, return this one and set aside the $500 for when one shows up.

I appreciate all of the honest advice. I am well aware this will not achieve a proper grade because it was cleaned and damaged. I am submitting it for piece of mind and nothing more. Not much I can do about what I paid since much time has passed since the transactioon occured. Some lessons are learned out of mistakes. Again thanks for the advice and I will retire from this post.

Cheers

Mike

Greetings collectors.

I acquired this 1847 Seated Liberty Dollar from a trustworthy dealer and I attempted to trade it today. The dealer I tried trading with is someone I put alot of trust in. He said the coin looks suspicious due to the high relief near the top denticles. It looks from far that it was struck slightly off center and therefore left a high relief. It also has some strange abrasion at right of the 7 in the date. Pictures below. The other specs are that it is non magnetic weighs in appropriatly at 26.7grams (my scale is only single digit) and is 38mm in diameter. So everything tells me it is real. Now a last ooly to ponder. If you utilize the coin explorer on NGC and pull up the mint state 1847 seater it shows some sort of fracture to the right at 7 and the high relief on the rim from about 1000-0200 relative. Anyway, please look at these pictures and tell me if this all makes sense or if I have been dooped. I paid good money even with the minor flaw at right of the seven, but nothing really screams fake to me. Especially with all the research online even the good fakes seem more obvious. Anyways Thanks!

Here's my 1847...for comparison sakes...

eaa656cc.jpg

50e28edb.jpg

Thank You for the photos, very nice quality I might add. Is this one of the digital photos that NGC does? Anyway one of the things that I noticed right away on the reverse is that around the words ONE and UNITED you can see an obvious hairline crack which looks like a result of the striking. I have many examples of Bust Halves with this issue. Of course those are attributed to specific die pairings. In this case of course I am only guessing that is what it is. Nice coin btw. I too also have that hairline crack running through the same points on mine so it gives me more of a warm fuzzy. Thanks for sharing!

Mike