• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Were any special coins struck on October 12, 1827?

14 posts in this topic

President John Q. Adams came to the Philadelphia Mint on Oct. 12, 1827 to officiate at the opening of the standard pound weight sent from England. This was the first official weight standard for US coinage.

Was anything special done to commemorate the event?

Yes there was, the first wooden nickel was produced to commemorate the event and given to president Adams himself, subsequently several years later the Adams residence suffered an epic termite infestation which was the demise of said historical emblem which sadly went unmentioned on CNN that night.

Nick

Just because this question got me wondering (thanks a lot Roger!), I did some quck internet searches. Lots of sites talk about the ceremony and President Adams receivign the pound standard, recognizing the seal, etc.. but I haven't seen anything yet that mentions any type of commemorative device being coined for the occasion. You would think with a head of state visiting the mint that they would have done *something* to commemorate the visit though.

...and, this was the first official troy pound in the United States...until then, everthing was an approximation.

I think its a sure bet that due to the presence of political dignitaries at such an event, at the very least hot air was produced.... Due to the early history of the event and the not yet developed presence of TPG's, its doubtful that any of the air was captured, slabbed, and graded however.