• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SP 70 Collection ? posted by DJStevenson

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These are what I received this week. I beleive I got the Deal of a Life Time.

These are what I received this week. I believe I got the Deal of a Life Time. I love these coins. I noticed them when I was reading 100 Greatest U.S. Modern Coins. I was seeing what coins I could afford without putting me in the dog house with the wife.

I would like to know is there any more SP coins out there? Besides the 5oz ones.

If so I think I will start a custom set of only SP 70s.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=10778

Thank you for looking.

12299.jpg

See more journals by DJStevenson

DJ nice get. I wish I got 70's instead of the 69's I got some months ago.I have two Specimen in my Jefferson Nickels PF series. 1994-P SPECIMEN and 1997-P SPECIMEN .

My pockets are some what empty from all my hospitals bills. Good luck on your goal of SP 70s.

Ed

jf19972.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

According to the book 100 Greatest US Modern Coins The 1994 coin was part of a set from the mint a commemorative dollar and the Jefferson Nickel celebrating the 250 Anniversary 1993. But “because of late approval date the authorizing legislation for the coin actually passed in 1994”. According to the book., instead of regular 1994 nickel for the set the mint struck a special presentation coin for “inclusion in this set: a nickel with a special matt finish.” This matte finished “never before been used on a Jefferson nickel and hand not been used on any nickel since 1961 been used on any Jefferson nickel”. According to the book you could only get the coin in the coinage and currency set which had a “mintage of 167,703 is the second lowest mintage for any Jefferson nickel. Its soft gray textured finished and crisp proof like detail make it a visually exciting specimen while its low mintage makes it a very scarce and desirable modern issue”.

The 1997 coin “its mintage is mere 25,000 pieces, the lowest of any US coin belonging to a regular series since 1942” The book states “it is visually dramatic, with a sharp Proof-quality strike but monotone dull surface share in the series on by the 1994-P nickel Matte Special Uncalculated- yet this coin is nearly seven times scarcer.”

Ed

sig.jpg