• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you seen a 1972 DDO in a small plastic bottle?

6 posts in this topic

I saw this at a local dealer about 2 years ago. He stated he picked the coin up at the FUN show. He also said he remembered a dealer in the 70's making these and selling them as novelties.

I do not have a picture but I can tell you the bottle was completely sealed with no top that could be removed. About the shape and half the size of airplane liquor. The bottle was formed around the coin some how. The coin stood upwards at a 20-30 degree angle and the bottle was so tight the coin would barely wiggle.

Full red and $525. I passed as I was afraid of a counterfeit. I also did not like the fact that the obverse was facing down.

Just curious if anyone else as ever seen or heard of these.

Yes I have seen cents in bottles, but I haven't seen a 72 DDO in one. Of course I have to admit the novelty of a cent in a bottle doesn't really impress me so I've never really looked at any of the closely.

Probably not a matter of "brave enough". The company producing them simply used a group of red cents they had on hand and didn't know there was a 72 DDO in the group. Then later someone looking at them as a novelty purchase discovered it. Same reason why there is at least one 14 D cent in an encasement, an elongated 09 SVDB, and elongated 1885 and 12 S nickels. They were "just another coin" to the person encasing or squashing them.

I'd carefully crack it out and get it put in a holder that won't be as likely to break accidentally and scratch the coin. Maybe shoot a picture of the coin in the bottle first to document the novelty.