• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does RPM #9 mean on a 1960-D Lincoln cent?

14 posts in this topic

I've been looking through some of my dad's coins and found this one in an envelope from many years ago. The red book does not mention anything called D / D / D or RPM #9 and I was wondering what is special about this cent....

I will attached a photo of the flip.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have a great day

Jim

131197.jpg.908162e3744bb1b64a95a9f7b161510c.jpg

And some are much more desirable than others, not sure about this one, I'm at work and not near my RPM book. Mine is an old rev though and may not have this example.

I've been looking through some of my dad's coins and found this one in an envelope from many years ago. The red book does not mention anything called D / D / D or RPM #9 and I was wondering what is special about this cent....

I will attached a photo of the flip.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have a great day

Jim

Only about 1% of known die varieties are listed in the Cherrypickers Guide and the Redbook. CONECA lists 113 unique RPMS for 1960-D cents; only 1 or 2 of them are worth anything extra. RPM-009 is described as:

1960-D RPM-009

Description:

D/D/D South, North

Rarity:

Overall: URS-8

Mint State: URS-8

Markers:

ODV-023 (Large date)

UVC-647

DMR-015

Stage A:

Obverse and Reverse are EDS

Stage B:

Very light die crack in upper 9 of date – MDS

Reverse is MDS

Stage C:

Large die chip in upper 9 of date – LDS

Reverse is LDS

Reported by:

Unknown

I'll get you info on it if I can get a hold of my book when I get home. We are suffering through a bathroom renovation so must of the stuff is all wrapped up!. I'll let you know if this one is in the book.

Thanks for the info. But YIKES! I found one of those RPM books for sale on Amazon.com used for $207.00 Will keep looking. Thanks again. - Jim

Jim,

If you just have 1 or handful of these, I would not bother purchasing such a book, unless you plan to add to this collection. You already have the variety attributed by Bill Fivaz.

I agree with you coinman1794, I'm not a big variety hound. Actually my main passion (obsession if you ask my wife) is Newfoundland coins. I do collect US coins but mostly just your standard main stream sets type of stuff. So if I could find the book at a reasonable price I might go for it but I'm not willing to spend hundreds for a book unless I would use it often. Thanks so much for the info, it is very appreciated.

Jim

I'll get you info on it if I can get a hold of my book when I get home. We are suffering through a bathroom renovation so must of the stuff is all wrapped up!. I'll let you know if this one is in the book.

You keep your coinbooks in the bathroom?.........haha

And the ultimate in weird would be reading forum entries on their smart phone while in the bathroom.... I have only heard rumors of this bizzare behavior though of course....ahem..