• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

National Money Show

3 posts in this topic

Dallas, TX

Today was the last day of the ANA National Money Show in my backyard of Dallas, TX. Today was the only day I was able to go, but I had a fantastic time.

The day started with me taking the light rail to the convention center. A nice ride and with traffic from the closing weekend of the state fair, it was nice to not have to drive. When I arrived, I went and paid my admission which included a show guide and a copy of the Numismatist. All the ANA volunteers were top notch great people who were happy to help.

I started my bourse visit by visiting HW Wood insurance to ask about insuring my collection. A quick application and ANA membership purchase later, my application for insurance is on its way. It's a nice feeling knowing that if my years of hard work are stolen, I won't have to come out of pocket to rebuild.

After that, I started wandering around the dealers tables, up one row and down the next. Yesterday, I printed the dealer list and highlighted the ones that I definitely wanted to stop by. Most of my money went to a dealer from San Antonio. He was a very nice gentleman who had a large selection of NGC slabbed coins, had time to talk to his customers and was very nice to the kids who came up to look. As he an I were talking, the chat turned to counterfeit coins and he produced his collection of counterfeit coins, including a "1900 Silver Eagle". It was very interesting to see the workmanship and lack thereof of some of these coins. When I finished looking at them, a man came up and asked to look. When he was finished, he asked to buy some of them. The dealer's answer was an emphatic no; it was his collection and he obviously couldn't sell them because they were not stamped copy and he did not want to stamp them copy. The dealer was a lot more polite than I would have been after the dozen times the man asked to buy the coins.....

In addition to my purchases, I took a look at the museum collection that the ANA brought down, including among other rarities, a 1907 Ultra High Relief St. Gaudens, Republic of Texas Currency, an 1804 Silver Dollar, a 1955 Lincoln DDO, which is the first one I have seen in person. Also there, was the George Walton 1913 Liberty Nickel. I have seen the Smithsonian specimen, but this being the lost brother of the other 4 in the special holder was fantastic to see. Lastly, I saw my first in person Hobo Nickel. Not overly valuable, but each, a work of art.

That's about it. I added 4 coins to my Washington Silver Quarters, 3 coins to my 1934 - 1958 Lincolns, 1 coin to my Morgans and started a Peace Dollar collection (1 coin) and Ike dollar collection (2 Coins).

All in all, a great show. I'll have to check the schedule to see when there will be another ANA convention near me. My goal for the next one I attend will be to purchase something at auction. Wish me luck and thanks for reading.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Glad you enjoyed the show and it's great that you found one or more coin dealers who were interested in being helpful, not just greedy.

I'm from Dallas, so was eager to go to this one! I could only attend on Friday, but had an equally great time. I concentrated my efforts on my currency for this show, but was amazed at the collections set up for viewing. Here's a shot of the bourse for those who could not attend this one.

Dallas ANA Show October 19 2012.jpg