• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the prettiest Type One Three Cent Silver pieces I have ever seen..

17 posts in this topic

Great one, too bad you didn't win it!

I sold a 3CS recently and now I see a lot of this type material is bidding a lot higher on CDN.

Here's an 1862 I sold recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251153397952?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

I bought it raw and it graded well. I didn't bother to send it to CAC, but it probably would have passed.

The obverse of that one is great, Mark. The reverse instantly puts it the 'average" category, however. I find the reverse quite plain. Based on these photographs, I'm going to say that I've seen quite a few that I liked much better.

Nice one...I like the Obv as well.

Is this one of the dates that are hard to find in MS (as opposed to Proof)? Or is that another series?

jom

The obverse of that one is great, Mark. The reverse instantly puts it the 'average" category, however. I find the reverse quite plain. Based on these photographs, I'm going to say that I've seen quite a few that I liked much better.

The reverse is nicer than seen in the image, but the obverse (which also looks better in hand) is what makes it special. For some reason, Type Two and Type Three examples are much easier to find with nice color than Type Ones.

Is this one of the dates that are hard to find in MS (as opposed to Proof)? Or is that another series?

jom

Not rare in MS, but exceedingly rare in Proof. In fact, there is only one Proof, and I got to handle it years ago. It is also the only known Type One proof 3CS of any date. Coincidentally, it is coming up for sale soon.

jom

Not rare in MS, but exceedingly rare in Proof. In fact, there is only one Proof, and I got to handle it years ago. It is also the only known Type One proof 3CS of any date. Coincidentally, it is coming up for sale soon.

Why would only one proof be made (or survive?). Is it possible the coin is actually a Prooflike?

jom

Why would only one proof be made (or survive?). Is it possible the coin is actually a Prooflike?

Not sure why only one, other than that 1851 was the first year for the series.

I first saw the coin, while I was a grader at NGC, after it sold, uncertified in the Eliasberg sale. And it looked unlike any business strike I have ever seen. Years later, after I had left NGC, the coin came up for sale and I placed it with a client. It is amazing and as far as I'm concerned, a truly unique type coin.

jom

Interesting...thanks for that info. Kind of reminds me of Bust proof coins...very very few exist.

On the "rare in MS" thing I was probably thinking of a different series or type. Maybe 3c nickel or something. ????

jom