• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journal of Numismatic Research is now available - Autumn 2012

5 posts in this topic

See the post on the Money Market Place for price and ordering details. The printed edition is identical and will be available in a few days (I’m having trouble with the cover color reproducing correctly.)

This 48-page first issue features two articles about the technology used in producing coins in the US Mints.

ON PAGE 7 -

OBERLIN SMITH – PATENT FOR A COINING PRESS, 1896

United States patent number 574227 was issued to Oberlin Smith on December 29, 1896. Smith was owner of the Ferracute Company and had many years of experience in designing and manufacturing industrial and machine shop presses, lathes and other equipment. His company produced only two sizes of coin presses and sold a few to the U.S. Mint and others to foreign governments. This is the first publication of Smith’s complete patent text and illustrations.

ON PAGE 23 -

VICTOR JANVIER – PATENT FOR A MODEL REDUCING MACHINE, 1899

French and English - New translation by Margaux C. Thieme-Burdette

Among American numismatists Victor Janvier is known almost entirely for the model reducing machine of his invention that was installed in the Philadelphia Mint in 1906. The first test was in December when Barber and Morgan made hubs for a sample double eagle. In January 1907 the first reductions of Saint-Gaudens' double eagle models were made. The French patent, number 294123, was issued on November 8, 1899 and amended in February 24, 1902. This is the first publication of his patent and includes all documents remaining in the French patent office archive.

The printed version should be at Wizard Coin Supply on Friday. I saw the proof late yesterday, and it looks good -- in some ways better than the electronic. Maybe it's the paper or maybe it's just my preference for something tactile.