• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP. 1835 Half Cent for my type set.

8 posts in this topic

MK. Thanks!

I do slabbed sets several times a year, not type sets but right now, I am working on 1992-S Silver to 2012-S Silver Dimes, all NGC PF69UC. Sets like that.

Or I will set a goal to purchase 20 NGC or PCGS graded Baber Quarters, all VF to XF but any dates. I would set a deadline and what not. Its fun and it makes browsing through 60+ pages of eBay coin listing worth while!.

I have the Dansco Type Set album. So far, I am around 25% complete with it and I have been working on it for about 8 months. It will probably take me two years to complete to my satisfaction but I know it will be worth it.

-Dave

I know that not everything I say will please you, but overall I'd say that you did okay.

First the good news. The coin the sharpness of an AU-58 with a strong strike and smooth surfaces. The 1835 and all of the made for circulation half cents from the 1830s often are found with very little wear because these coins did not circulate well. Still this one is sharper than average.

The down side is that I'm quite sure the coin has been cleaned and re-colored. That color is not natural for a coin with this level of sharpness, but the coloring job was done fairly well. The only objection is that it could have been a little lighter and not so dark. Because of the re-coloring, this coin would not get a grade if you sent to a legitimate third party grader.

For $80, this is a fair buy. For $40 you would have gotten a coin with a lot of wear, or more likely a lot of problems. Half cents in general are not rare, but they are scarce enough to have a price floor of at least $40 to $50 under them.

Here an MS-63 graded 1835 half cent that I have in my collection. The white balance is bit off on the obverse, but you can see from this Mint State piece how much "meat" your coin as on it. I grade this one MS-64. This is one of the few times when I have felt that the grading service shortchanged me on the grade.

1835HalfCentOJPG-1.jpg1835HalfCentR-1.jpg

I know that not everything I say will please you, but overall I'd say that you did okay.

First the good news. The coin the sharpness of an AU-58 with a strong strike and smooth surfaces. The 1835 and all of the made for circulation half cents from the 1830s often are found with very little wear because these coins did not circulate well. Still this one is sharper than average.

The down side is that I'm quite sure the coin has been cleaned and re-colored. That color is not natural for a coin with this level of sharpness, but the coloring job was done fairly well. The only objection is that it could have been a little lighter and not so dark. Because of the re-coloring, this coin would not get a grade if you sent to a legitimate third party grader.

For $80, this is a fair buy. For $40 you would have gotten a coin with a lot of wear, or more likely a lot of problems. Half cents in general are not rare, but they are scarce enough to have a price floor of at least $40 to $50 under them.

Here an MS-63 graded 1835 half cent that I have in my collection. The white balance is bit off on the obverse, but you can see from this Mint State piece how much "meat" your coin as on it. I grade this one MS-64. This is one of the few times when I have felt that the grading service shortchanged me on the grade.

Thanks Bill. I don't think I would send this one in but I didn't notice that it might me recolored so I am glad you pointed that out. As long as there is not any pitting, major/distracting scratches or any corrosion, I am ok with keeping it.

I think we all have been shortchanged by a TPG at one time or another. Dispite the overall accuracy of many, many coins that are graded, the graders are still human and make errors.

From my experience with NGC, I can't compain about the service but I have been disapointed a few times. If I am not 100% certain that a RAW coin I have has never been cleaned or had anything done to it that would make it "worthy" of a Details holder, I wont submit it. My next submission will be a bunch of Proof modern commems I have.

Thanks for the input!

-Dave

Thanks Bill. I don't think I would send this one in but I didn't notice that it might me recolored so I am glad you pointed that out. As long as there is not any pitting, major/distracting scratches or any corrosion, I am ok with keeping it.

I think we all have been shortchanged by a TPG at one time or another. Dispite the overall accuracy of many, many coins that are graded, the graders are still human and make errors.

From my experience with NGC, I can't compain about the service but I have been disapointed a few times. If I am not 100% certain that a RAW coin I have has never been cleaned or had anything done to it that would make it "worthy" of a Details holder, I wont submit it. My next submission will be a bunch of Proof modern commems I have.

Thanks for the input!

-Dave

I don't know, but I suspect that Bill is looking at the wrong coin. When I open your link I see a selection of "similar" auctions. The first one seems to match Bill's description. Your coin looks original to me and more like a VF than AU58.

Other half cent