• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1863 Copper-Nickel Indian Head Cent -- GRADE POSTED

14 posts in this topic

A new type coin. It resides in a PCGS problem-free holder. Guess the grade.

Sorry for the scuffs on the holder -- I tried to buff them out to no avail.

131127.jpg.62fcf751fdd884f8c43d239b62178992.jpg

I have to agree with the "mushy" strike. The large hit on the reverse above the "O" in "ONE" is of concern. But still very nice. 64 CN since it can't go red! lol

Just a comment, and I really appreciate the comments/guesses -- but, several of you have mentioned a "mushy strike". The LIBERTY is definitely soft, but the "L" of that looks especially soft because there is a big scuff on the plastic right there. There are clearly 4 diamonds, and the feathers are almost completely detailed. There is some of what I would call "worn die" look, around the perimeter at 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the obverse in particular. The reverse looks about as fully struck as I have seen, so I assume the "mushy" reference is regarding the obverse.

My question is whether the strike is really that "mushy"? I have looked at dozens of these before I decided on this one. These Copper-nickel pieces simply do not strike up like the bronze issues from 1864 and later. If this is mushy, then mushy must have been pretty endemic on these Cu-Ni years.

Ok, carry on, and keep the guesses coming. :)

-Brandon

Just a comment, and I really appreciate the comments/guesses -- but, several of you have mentioned a "mushy strike". The LIBERTY is definitely soft, but the "L" of that looks especially soft because there is a big scuff on the plastic right there. There are clearly 4 diamonds, and the feathers are almost completely detailed. There is some of what I would call "worn die" look, around the perimeter at 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the obverse in particular. The reverse looks about as fully struck as I have seen, so I assume the "mushy" reference is regarding the obverse.

My question is whether the strike is really that "mushy"? I have looked at dozens of these before I decided on this one. These Copper-nickel pieces simply do not strike up like the bronze issues from 1864 and later. If this is mushy, then mushy must have been pretty endemic on these Cu-Ni years.

Ok, carry on, and keep the guesses coming. :)

-Brandon

I would not describe the strike as "mushy", and the coin looks attractive and flashy. For example, the feather and wreath detail looks fine to me. Unless there are flaws/problems of consequence which do not show in the image, I grade it 64+, despite the reverse hit. And an MS65 grade would not shock me.

Altered color...I suppose I should add to this.Im calling it altered color because every coin ive sent in lately if it even has a hint of any change of color(reverse) they have been coming back altered color.my guess is unc details altered color.What the grade should be(if all graders took into consideration that the coin has been sitting in a holder for years with color being prone to change?It should grade 64RB would be a proper grade.MAYBE if the graders thought about any slight color change where it may have come from and graded the coin with the considerations there would be alot less true altered colors.

Altered color...I suppose I should add to this.Im calling it altered color because every coin ive sent in lately if it even has a hint of any change of color(reverse) they have been coming back altered color.my guess is unc details altered color.What the grade should be(if all graders took into consideration that the coin has been sitting in a holder for years with color being prone to change?It should grade 64RB would be a proper grade.MAYBE if the graders thought about any slight color change where it may have come from and graded the coin with the considerations there would be alot less true altered colors.

Copper Nickel Cents do not receive color designations ("BN", "RB", "RD")

Well, as I stated in the first post it's in a problem free PCGS holder. And, it hasn't been in the holder very long, as it's one of the new pronged PCGS holders. These holders have only been used for all issues for about the past year.

Copper Nickel Cents do not receive color designations ("BN", "RB", "RD")

Yes I realised that I put rb after I hit send